Bluetooth Adaptor - Pay Up! - Why is it?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Groundhound
Re: Bluetooth Adaptor - Pay Up! - Why is it?

Post by Groundhound » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Anytime Ooma adds a new feature to Premier, there are the inevitable complaints by some that the feature should be made available to basic users for free or for a nominal fee. Thing is, Ooma's future success is based upon their ability to convert basic subscribers into Premier subscribers. The basic service will remain basic, with no added features other than call quality improvements like PureVoice. Ooma's business is to sell Premier, pure and simple. The basic plan is an enticement to grow a user base that already owns the Telo to market Premier to. Some companies, like Vonage for instance, spend vast amounts on unfocused mass media ads, with a resulting acquisition cost per new customer in the $300+ range. Ooma's approach is different with less spent mass market advertising, using the basic service to create a very focused group to market Premier to. Premier is the business Ooma is in, they make no secret of it: http://www.ooma.com/company/our-business-model. If you have the basic service and like it, be happy and wish Ooma success in their business model - you may not want to spend the $10 per month for Premier, but Ooma's ability to attract more Premier customers will help keep your Ooma dial tone playing for a long time.

worldtraveler

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 pm

I own a Vtech Dect 6.0 Bluetooth model DS6322-4 phone sytem. Got it at Costco for $79.99, came w/4 handsets & answering machine. LOVE IT! Bought it before I even owned my ooma, and it works fabulous with it as a land line or via blue tooth using my cell phone. In fact, you can connect 2 bluetooth/cell phone devices to it at a time in addition to a land line. Love that the base station (w/answering machine) is plugged into the ooma, and the other three handsets are around the house in various locations and are only plugged into an electrical outlet (I even have one out in my gym). Bluetooth only has a 30 ft range from the base station. I can leave my cell any where in my house, so it is linked to the blue tooth, but I can use the Vtech handsets all the way down the block with great clarity. Free, no premium service required, great phones too. IMO a way better option instead of the ooma bluetooth adapter and paying $49.99 per telo handset too. For anyone that doesn't want to use premium service, or buy the ooma adapter to have this new bluetooth feature, I'd highly encourage you to look into this Vtech product, I give it an A+.

philw132

Post by philw132 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:51 am

fyi i have the same phone system, however it only lets you link two phones at one time.. and this will only with with the POTS connections, on the other hand the new ooma adapter (no its not 49.99) will work with your "2nd line" from what i understand. this will be good for bluetooth headsets etc.

and i completly agree with you, the vtech phone is very very good quality
worldtraveler wrote:I own a Vtech Dect 6.0 Bluetooth model DS6322-4 phone sytem. Got it at Costco for $79.99, came w/4 handsets & answering machine. LOVE IT! Bought it before I even owned my ooma, and it works fabulous with it as a land line or via blue tooth using my cell phone. In fact, you can connect 2 bluetooth/cell phone devices to it at a time in addition to a land line. Love that the base station (w/answering machine) is plugged into the ooma, and the other three handsets are around the house in various locations and are only plugged into an electrical outlet (I even have one out in my gym). Bluetooth only has a 30 ft range from the base station. I can leave my cell any where in my house, so it is linked to the blue tooth, but I can use the Vtech handsets all the way down the block with great clarity. Free, no premium service required, great phones too. IMO a way better option instead of the ooma bluetooth adapter and paying $49.99 per telo handset too. For anyone that doesn't want to use premium service, or buy the ooma adapter to have this new bluetooth feature, I'd highly encourage you to look into this Vtech product, I give it an A+.
Customer Since: 4/6/10
Service/Hardware: Telo w/ bluetooth
Premier Expires: 6/02/12
Comcast Port: 4/15/10 - 5/17/10
Internet: Comcast Cable Top Speed Tier
Setup: Motorola SB6120 -> Cisco E3000 -> Telo
Phone: Vtech DECT 6.0 3-Handset / 1 Telo Handset

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:02 am

philw132 wrote:To the poster of the the first post,

Microsoft DOES push updates that cuts the ability of your computer.......... for all the latest versions of "windows" there has been a "basic, standard, home primum, ultimate, pro" and guess what? when you upgrade from just say home primum to pro.. you dont get a CD, you just get a keycode... it "unlocks" the functions that are already there! and that update on sale is like $89.99 and alot of companys are following suit. look at the ARCHOS portable internet tablets (media players) they run android (opensource google operating system) however they do not let you have access to the 1,000s of free apps that android has avable in their "marketplace" instead they block the app "market place" and add "applib" that allows you to download (paid or free) apps that ARCHOS desides you should use. the list goes on. point being ooma is a starter company (since what 2004?) They are doing what they can to make money to continue services. however i will admit im not crazy about the fact they do advertise the abillty to use bluetooth on the box, one would think that the function was built into the telo not having to buy a bluetooth adapter that would give you the abilly. but i did buy the dongle and it was on backorder i finnaly got it, i may give it a try tomorrow see how it is. its 29.99 i think.. in any case that isnt going to make you have to sell your home cause you cant pay the mortgage or something crazy.. just my 2 cents.....
Morpheus wrote:I'm having a problem here:

What do you think would happen if Microsoft pushed an update to your computer that cut the ability to use a standing function, just so they could sell you a service.
Now this is just getting silly; You can REVERSE any hot fix. It's totally up to you how you want to, or don't want to receive these pushed hotfixes from Microsoft.

Microsoft notifies you about every single modification that they are performing to you OS on every single hotfix. They even notified the pirates when a certain hot fix would be disabling there OS.

All companies should be made to adhere to the same standard as Microsoft is when pushing updates. You own the equipment not the companies. IMO; companies don't the right to push anything to a device that I paid for without my expressed approval for every change.

The Ooma handset is less then just about anything that can be purchased for a far cheaper solution to a good phone. Some, not all have been listed in this thread. If Ooma couldn't see far enough ahead to install a 5 cent headset jack then they need to get out of the handset business and focus on the Ooma Telo device. Connecting a headset should be a basic feature of any phone.

I have basic service and I would like the use of a headset, which there is absolutely no way to connect one. Now Ooma has a way to get this done. However for us basic subscribers, that don't need any of these premiere services, we now have to pay $29.99 for the proprietary dongle, and then $10 a month for life to get access to headset function. So, see it's not just $29.99...

Here is another one for you; I have the premiere service on a 6 month trial period ( 2 months in), and they won't even allow me to buy the BT dongle unless I go in and sign up for a monthly subscription in advance.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 am

The Ooma ATA (Telo or Hub) is a network client on a closed network (Ooma's). Ooma is not a BYOD offering. Firmware updates can be made for any number of reasons, including keeping the client's compatibility with the network following changes to the network, or preventing out of date firmware from disrupting the network. Ooma supports the function of ATA's on their network within the limits of their warranty; if Ooma was BYOD, then it would be the customer's problem if the device no longer could connect. If Ooma could not make updates without approval from each customer, then one of two things would happen - either Ooma would be unable to make network improvements that might compromise the ability of old clients to connect, or Ooma would have to simply cut off access for those clients who's owners had not approved the update - both bad options IMO. A better analogy than Microsoft updates would be a purchased cable modem - cable companies completely control firmware updates for all modems on their closed networks, no matter who owns the modem.

philw132

Post by philw132 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:44 am

I see.. So this is how I see it.. Ooma advertises a new feature that is for premiere only and your upset cause you can't get it.. Do you see anyone complaining that has premiere?

Re Microsoft I didn't say a thing about the hotfixes. I was talking about the "upgrades" all the features of the pro are in the lowest version however they are locked until you buy the upgrade.

Btw it seems no matter what anyone says here you are not going to be happy. So my advice, if you don't like the great service ooma gives you and all there hard work to keep there servers running perfectly.. Simple.. Take your power plug to the telo and pull it out of the wall.. So they can focus on issues that need addressing instead of dealing with complaints from someone that feels "ripped off" that ooma isn't giving away ALL their services for free.

Ooma devs don't worry about this... It is not an issue, this is my last post about this issue, my next post will to let everyone know how it goes with the bluetooth, I am going to connect it up tonight for all the premiere users I'm sure you would like to hear peoples feedback on the device.

Have a great day everyone

What do you think would happen if Microsoft pushed an update to your computer that cut the ability to use a standing function, just so they could sell you a service.

Now this is just getting silly; You can REVERSE any hot fix. It's totally up to you how you want to, or don't want to receive these pushed hotfixes from Microsoft.

Microsoft notifies you about every single modification that they are performing to you OS on every single hotfix. They even notified the pirates when a certain hot fix would be disabling there OS.

All companies should be made to adhere to the same standard as Microsoft is when pushing updates. You own the equipment not the companies. IMO; companies don't the right to push anything to a device that I paid for without my expressed approval for every change.

The Ooma handset is less then just about anything that can be purchased for a far cheaper solution to a good phone. Some, not all have been listed in this thread. If Ooma couldn't see far enough ahead to install a 5 cent headset jack then they need to get out of the handset business and focus on the Ooma Telo device. Connecting a headset should be a basic feature of any phone.

I have basic service and I would like the use of a headset, which there is absolutely no way to connect one. Now Ooma has a way to get this done. However for us basic subscribers, that don't need any of these premiere services, we now have to pay $29.99 for the proprietary dongle, and then $10 a month for life to get access to headset function. So, see it's not just $29.99...

Here is another one for you; I have the premiere service on a 6 month trial period ( 2 months in), and they won't even allow me to buy the BT dongle unless I go in and sign up for a monthly subscription in advance.
Last edited by philw132 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:14 am

philw132 wrote:I see.. So this is how I see it.. Ooma advertises a new feature that is for premerm only and your upset cause you can't get it.. Do you see anyone complaining that has premeire?

Re microsoft I didn't say a thing about the hotfixes. I was talking about the "upgrades" all the features of the pro are in the lowest version however they are locked untill you buy the upgrade.

Btw it seems no matter what anyone says here you are not going to be happy. So my advice, if you don't like the great service ooma gives you and all there hard work to keep there servers running perfectly.. Simple.. Take ur power plug to the telo and pull it out of the walll.. So they can focus on issues that need addressing instead of dealing with complaints from someone that feels "ripped out" that ooma isn't giving away ALL their services for free.

Ooma devs don't worry about this... It is not an issue, this is my last post about this issue, my next post will to let everyone know how it goes with the bluetooth, I am going to connect it up tonight for all the premeire users I'm sure you would like to hear peoples feedback on the device.

Have a great day everyone

The thing is; I am happy. I'm retunning $200 of Ooma equiptment and buying a far better solution to what they are providing as a phone.

I would have much rather supported Ooma by keeping the handsets, and using them. They have now locked any possible support of a headset of any type, to their BT adaptor and a $10 a month service fee.

Now I'll use the Ooma as a passthru service only and replace the Ooma handsets.

My suggestion for anyone using the Ooma system that ONLY needs basic service to NOT buy the Ooma Handsets if you need something as rudimentary as a headset connection.

philw132

Post by philw132 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey all,

As promised i just got home from the campground and had some time to connect everything up. the bluetooth is simple, just pop it in the usb slot, no extra steps required. I used the setup page to pair a plantronics bluetooth earbud i picked up on sale at last years black friday sale at radioshack. very easy, it paired very quickly. then i used my cell to call the ooma number, my earbud starting beeping in my ear, clicked it and i was able to start talking no problem, the range of the bluetooth is very good.. it seems to have a more stable range then my 89.99 dollar vtech POTS phone has.

An unexpected and very welcomed sideaffect was answering the telo using your bargin store bluetooth earbud is that it gives you access to a fresh dialtone and your second line using your normal house phones.. i was going to buy a telo handset but now that i can have access to a fresh dialtone using this 29.99 dollar dongle that saved me from needing to do that.

the call quality (of course) depends on the bluetooth earbud you use, but the range seems to be very good, i can walk around a nice part of my house without it loosing connection.

Great job ooma! you did it again. Keep up the good work :)

Jerald

Post by Jerald » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:31 pm

philw132 wrote:Hey all,

As promised i just got home from the campground and had some time to connect everything up. the bluetooth is simple, just pop it in the usb slot, no extra steps required. I used the setup page to pair a plantronics bluetooth earbud i picked up on sale at last years black friday sale at radioshack. very easy, it paired very quickly. then i used my cell to call the ooma number, my earbud starting beeping in my ear, clicked it and i was able to start talking no problem, the range of the bluetooth is very good.. it seems to have a more stable range then my 89.99 dollar vtech POTS phone has.

An unexpected and very welcomed sideaffect was answering the telo using your bargin store bluetooth earbud is that it gives you access to a fresh dialtone and your second line using your normal house phones.. i was going to buy a telo handset but now that i can have access to a fresh dialtone using this 29.99 dollar dongle that saved me from needing to do that.

the call quality (of course) depends on the bluetooth earbud you use, but the range seems to be very good, i can walk around a nice part of my house without it loosing connection.

Great job ooma! you did it again. Keep up the good work :)
Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:17 pm

Jerald wrote:Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.
How were you able to connect a hardwired headset to Ooma? Am I missing something?