Multiple Lines

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
JohnW
Multiple Lines

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello,

I'd like to have a wholly separate line on one Ooma phone and another second line (different # and vmail) on another Ooma phone. Is this possible with one Telo base?

I'm 100% new to this set up but trying to kick my hosted VOIP to the curb with this solution. I currently have 3 lines but am hoping to downsize to these two lines.

Anyway, I hope it's possible, all I've been able to read about so far is 'instant second line' I just want to make it 'permanent second line' and have it each ring separately with different #s.

Regards,

JohnW

Re: Multiple Lines

Post by JohnW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 pm

All,

Ignore this question! You guys have made this SOO easy! Bravo. I figured it out for one of my handsets. I think I need to switch over (officially) to premium so that I can get another (3rd) number to assign the 'other' number of my second handset. I'm thinking 2 is my limit for numbers until I do.

I'm so pumped. However, to hijack my own thread (hey it's late/early) can I make it say the name of the personal device rather than "Handset 1"? :D

I'm looking forward to testing for voice quality!

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:21 am

JohnW wrote:All,

Ignore this question! You guys have made this SOO easy! Bravo. I figured it out for one of my handsets. I think I need to switch over (officially) to premium so that I can get another (3rd) number to assign the 'other' number of my second handset. I'm thinking 2 is my limit for numbers until I do.

I'm so pumped. However, to hijack my own thread (hey it's late/early) can I make it say the name of the personal device rather than "Handset 1"? :D

I'm looking forward to testing for voice quality!
Your limit for numbers is 1 unless you subscribe to Premier. You are in the Premier free trial so you can have 2 numbers while that is in effect. A third number will cost you an additional $4.99 per month. Even with 3 (or more) numbers you can only have 2 numbers in use at the same time since there are two physical phone lines available.

Handset naming has been requested but is not available at this time.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 am

Sweet. Thanks Murphy. Some of your other posts helped me get set up so far. I'm hoping my Harrisburg comcast ust off the fiber will serve me well!

I'm sure as I mess arround I'll have more questions. How are peiple using iDevice like ipad? Are they using a browser or SIP cradentials through a soft phone? Currently I use a sip# routed through sipsource, gizmo5, google voice, and sipgate for ipad dialing. It's iffy. If I could use all my ooma stuff easily that would be WAY cool!!

OldMacGuy

Post by OldMacGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Murphy

If I have Premier and add a third line, is there a way to identify which phone line an incoming call is on. I want to answer each line with a different greeting name.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:56 pm

OldMacGuy wrote:Murphy

If I have Premier and add a third line, is there a way to identify which phone line an incoming call is on. I want to answer each line with a different greeting name.
I need more information.
Hub or Telo?
Are all 3 numbers in the shared pool or are numbers 2 and 3 assigned to their own scout (hub) or Telo handset.
If a number is assigned to a scout (hub) or a Telo handset, only that device will ring. It will also have it's own voicemail.
If all 3 numbers are in the shared pool, I am not aware of any way to tell which number the call came in on.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

OldMacGuy

Post by OldMacGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Murphy

I have a Telo unit.
If I understand your answer correctly, I would need a Telo handset for each phone line to identify the line being called. Also, I could identify up to 4 lines max using one Telo unit and 4 Telo handsets.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 pm

OldMacGuy wrote:I have a Telo unit.
If I understand your answer correctly, I would need a Telo handset for each phone line to identify the line being called. Also, I could identify up to 4 lines max using one Telo unit and 4 Telo handsets.
I think you could have 5 with one being shared and ringing only on the phone plugged into the Telo, and the other 4 being assigned to the Telo Handsets setup as Personal Devices, but only two calls could be in progress at any one time.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 am

Can you transfer a call from one line on the Telo to another line on the Telo? Also, can you call from one line inside a Telo to another line on the same Telo? When I try I get v-mail.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:18 am

JohnW wrote:Can you transfer a call from one line on the Telo to another line on the Telo? Also, can you call from one line inside a Telo to another line on the same Telo? When I try I get v-mail.
A call in progress can be joined by another Telo Handset. Calling from device to device is accomplished with the intercom function. In this sense, all phones connected to the Telo's phone port count as one device, and each Telo Handset is a device.