Multiple Telos with same number

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
nn5i
Multiple Telos with same number

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 am

For all I know, this may already be possible, but I see no mention of it.

Can you have multiple Telos (say one in the house and one in the hangar at the airport) with the same number, so you can originate and receive calls wherever you happen to be? This certainly is feasible technologically.

southsound

Re: Multiple Telos with same number

Post by southsound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:56 am

Not currently - but this is an excellent use of Google Voice and your two Telos. No need for GVE - just get a GV number and point it to both locations - and you cell too if you like. That way, when a person dials your GV number, it rings everywhere. I have been using "naked" GV like this for over a year and love it! Of course, this means giving out a new GV number but from my experience, it has not been a problem. I also use the GV voicemail feature that can send alerts to your cell or PC. For those who call one of my "old" numbers, I have the voicemail set up with a recording that says,"The number you are calling has been changed. The new number is 360 545-XXXX."
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:55 am

Well, Google Voice -- I know precisely nothing about it -- would seem an unnecessary complication. Why add complexity to a technologically straightforward problem, and end up dealing with multiple vendors and additional failure points?

Besides, phone numbers are a finite resource. Why tie up three phone numbers when one would do? Many areas are about out of numbers now -- and many area codes exist only because previously existing areas ran out of numbers. It was much more than a decade ago that Dallas filled up the 214 area code and had to add another (972), and everyone in Dallas started having to dial ten digits for every call. I don't live in Dallas any more, but for all I know they may have a third area code now, or need one soon.

Using one number is better than using three.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:59 am

Come to think, there's no technological reason why multiple Telos couldn't share a number with a cell phone AND landlines, either. Then when someone called you, it would ring wherever a Telo was, or one of the land lines, and also ring your cell phone. You could answer any one of them, or several for that matter, and you'd be using only one number.

Please consider that a feature request.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:00 am

You can get another ooma and have the original one multi-ring the second one (original will need Premier).

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:04 am

lbmofo wrote:You can get another ooma and have the original one multi-ring the second one (original will need Premier).
It's already an available feature? Cool. Or do I misunderstand you?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 am

One of Ooma's deficiencies is the general absence of documentation. I have no idea what multi-ring is, and I'm unable to find any explanation on the web site.

So -- what the heck is multi-ring?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:14 am

nn5i wrote:One of Ooma's deficiencies is the general absence of documentation. I have no idea what multi-ring is, and I'm unable to find any explanation on the web site.

So -- what the heck is multi-ring?
https://www.ooma.com/premier/features
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:24 am

Thank you, Murphy. That does look like a work-around. The video is rather puerile, though. :)

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:27 am

lbmofo wrote:You can get another ooma and have the original one multi-ring the second one (original will need Premier).
As recently as April I seem to recall that one ooma could not multiring another ooma. I'm not positive if this has been fixed or not but I would verify before relying on it working to make a purchase. Murphy - can you verify? I'm down to just one ooma system now. :shock:
nn5i wrote:Well, Google Voice -- I know precisely nothing about it -- would seem an unnecessary complication. Why add complexity to a technologically straightforward problem, and end up dealing with multiple vendors and additional failure points? Because you want a solution and one is available now for free. I agree that it is technologically straightforward - and even a great idea. But will ooma implement the suggestion? I don't know. What I do know is that a solution to meet your needs is available now. You can learn all about it on by doing a search for Google Voice. I have even set it up for people who don't have a computer. Once set up, it is seemless.

Besides, phone numbers are a finite resource. Why tie up three phone numbers when one would do? Many areas are about out of numbers now -- and many area codes exist only because previously existing areas ran out of numbers. It was much more than a decade ago that Dallas filled up the 214 area code and had to add another (972), and everyone in Dallas started having to dial ten digits for every call. I don't live in Dallas any more, but for all I know they may have a third area code now, or need one soon.You are only adding one number - your GV number - and they pay for it. The other numbers will still be as they were - but you use GV as a phone management tool.

Using one number is better than using three. Agreed. That is why I suggested using Google Voice. It rings all our numbers so no matter where you are, a caller only has to know one number to reach you. And, it is available now.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.