Use of 'Generic' DECT phones with Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
loghound
Use of 'Generic' DECT phones with Ooma

Post by loghound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi,

I have a telo (sp?) and I know I can get the Ooma handsets which have nice integration but I'm wondering if it's possible to use 'generic' DECT handsets with it?

I realize I may lose some of the advanced features (phone book, etc.) but does it work and if it does what feature(s) do you lose?

-John

dsinternet

Re: Use of 'Generic' DECT phones with Ooma

Post by dsinternet » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 pm

The biggest thing you would lose is the instant second line. You need the Telo handset in order to get access to a second line to call out on. You should be able to use the second line if someone calls you while you are on the phone. If you are on the phone and someone calls in, then another person in the house can pick up another phone and start talking to the new incoming call. You just will not be able to call out while someone is on the phone in your house.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 pm

loghound wrote:Hi,

I have a telo (sp?) and I know I can get the Ooma handsets which have nice integration but I'm wondering if it's possible to use 'generic' DECT handsets with it?-John
In a nutshell, yes and no.

YES - You can plug one of the many DECT 6.0 bases into the PHONE port on the Telo and use the handsets that the base supports to make and receive calls. I love my Uniden 1580-5 system (5 handsets) because it has a shared address book, intercom between handsets, great speakerphone on every handset, and the whole system cost me just under $80 at Staples during a sale.

NO - You cannot use generic handsets with the Telo's built-in DECT 6.0 base. Only the Telo handsets work with it. And having at least one is a real benefit. Like dsinternet said, you get some nice features that are only available when you have a Telo handset. I have two in addition to my Uniden system. You will like the added benefits of having both.

It should be noted that the instant second line and the ability to use two lines at once are part of the feature package known as Premier. It is well worth the additional charge of about $10 a month.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

philw132

Post by philw132 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:23 am

That isnt quiet true, if you buy the bluetooth adapter and use a bluetooth headset you will still have access to your second line (as long as your a premiere customer, and if you are not you wouldn't have a 2nd line anyways) and always have a fresh dialtone, i know this because i have this feature myself.

And for premiere users (not sure about basic as ive never had basic) the phonebook contacts on the website carry over to the caller id on any phone connected to the phone port on the telo. so while you loose the lookup feature of the phonebook, you can still modify the incoming caller id. (i.e a the caller id says normally "NEW HAVEN, CT 203-915-XXXX" it can say "PATS CELL 203-915-XXXX" )
dsinternet wrote:The biggest thing you would lose is the instant second line. You need the Telo handset in order to get access to a second line to call out on. You should be able to use the second line if someone calls you while you are on the phone. If you are on the phone and someone calls in, then another person in the house can pick up another phone and start talking to the new incoming call. You just will not be able to call out while someone is on the phone in your house.
Customer Since: 4/6/10
Service/Hardware: Telo w/ bluetooth
Premier Expires: 6/02/12
Comcast Port: 4/15/10 - 5/17/10
Internet: Comcast Cable Top Speed Tier
Setup: Motorola SB6120 -> Cisco E3000 -> Telo
Phone: Vtech DECT 6.0 3-Handset / 1 Telo Handset

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm going to toss my two cents worth in here too.

I have Panasonic cordless phones. I do not have Premier because I have no need for two lines ever. I do not have any phone at all plugged into my Telo base, it is in an inconvenient location for me. I have my Telo base connected to a phone jack activating the jacks throughout my house. I have my Panasonic base phone plugged into a jack between my kitchen and family room. The remaining cordless cradles are in various rooms. Everything works just fine. I keep an old cheap phone unplugged but in the area of my Telo base just in case I ever need to change my Telo voice message and I am in that area.

I also use the answering machine right on my Panasonic cordless base, again because it is far more convenient for me. I have my Panasonic answering set to 4 rings and I have Telo set to pick up at 6 rings. At times, if I choose I turn off the answering on the Pansonic and let them all go to Telo. If I am talking on my phone and a flash comes in, I can choose not to interrupt my call and the flash caller goes automatically to the Telo answering message where the caller can record a message.

I rarely use the Telo handsets because I do not like them as much as my Panasonics. They are not as comfortable and have no belt hanger and harder to read the screens.

I love my Telo setup, it is perfect for me and it is flexible for those that need or want more at their fingertips.

Donna