DSL & porting the number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
kingstravel
DSL & porting the number

Post by kingstravel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi, I am currently have one AT&T phone and DSL services. I am planning to discontinue AT&T phone service and switch the same phone # to OOMA while keeping AT&T's DSL service. Can I do that? And how?
Thanks a lot!

lbmofo

Re: DSL & porting the number

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Need to get your number and DSL separate. Get dry loop DSL setup, then porting your number out will not disrupt your DSL service.

Look here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7860&p=55273

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:45 am

Most DSL providers won't dry loop without first scheduling the port. It is stupid, but that's how some of them work.

When I went through this I made tons of calls which ended up causing me problems in the end. If I had not made a single phone call to my DSL and phone provider and just scheduled the port through Ooma's website it would have worked flawlessly. Recently I advised a coworker with the same DSL & phone provider to just schedule to port on the Ooma website and all should be fine, and he confirmed everything went as it should. This is with QWest in Colorado so I can't say you'll have the same experience in your area.

schillit

Post by schillit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:08 pm

I am in a pickle because I didn't know any of these options before activiating my OOMA, so I just picked to get a new phone #. Well, now I am trying to "disassociate" or get dry loop DSL from QWEST, and they are not cooperating..so I don't know what to do at this point. I am irritated at OOMA, because the instructions were not given at the time of activiation, otherwise I would have done the right thing. So, I don't know what I am supposed to do next...very annoyed probalby just going to send back my OOMA at this point....

So, should I just schedule the port with OOMA and tell QWEST nothing?

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:10 pm

schillit wrote:I am in a pickle because I didn't know any of these options before activiating my OOMA, so I just picked to get a new phone #. Well, now I am trying to "disassociate" or get dry loop DSL from QWEST, and they are not cooperating..so I don't know what to do at this point. I am irritated at OOMA, because the instructions were not given at the time of activiation, otherwise I would have done the right thing. So, I don't know what I am supposed to do next...very annoyed probalby just going to send back my OOMA at this point....

So, should I just schedule the port with OOMA and tell QWEST nothing?
I am with QWest, and know others personally with QWest that have ported and if you schedule your port through Ooma and do not call QWest, everything will work out just fine. If you do call QWest to make sure it goes right, it will go wrong. So just schedule the port with Ooma, and kick back and wait.

Scott

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:40 pm

schillit wrote:I am in a pickle because I didn't know any of these options before activiating my OOMA, so I just picked to get a new phone #.
Getting a temp number from ooma is recommended; better chance at not having any issues with your ooma. If you port your number over, on the date of completion, ooma just needs a reboot (power off and back on).

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 pm

scottlindner wrote:Most DSL providers won't dry loop without first scheduling the port. It is stupid, but that's how some of them work.

When I went through this I made tons of calls which ended up causing me problems in the end. If I had not made a single phone call to my DSL and phone provider and just scheduled the port through Ooma's website it would have worked flawlessly. Recently I advised a coworker with the same DSL & phone provider to just schedule to port on the Ooma website and all should be fine, and he confirmed everything went as it should. This is with QWest in Colorado so I can't say you'll have the same experience in your area.
It seems with Qwest, in cases, porting number didn't cancel DSL. What about AT&T & Verzion? Anyone had luck just porting without dry looping first?

tommies

Post by tommies » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:04 pm

From my experience (>1 year ago) ATT require a dry loop, otherwise the service will be disrupted. I don't know if it's any different now.
tommies