Moving, Ooma Hub, and new landline

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
DSkoss
Moving, Ooma Hub, and new landline

Post by DSkoss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Greetings!

I've been happily using an Ooma hub for about a year now. I ported my landline phone number to the Ooma and disconnected the phone line. I also have a Scout with a second number. Unfortunately, the house phone wiring didn't allow the Scout to work very well, so I just disconnected it and get the voicemail messages e-mailed to me (this works fine for me for now).

I've just moved, and the "new" house has a landline, which I am going to keep. I am temporarily forwarding all Ooma calls to the landline, and have not yet set up the Hub (or Scout), because I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out how things would work. The new house has Verizon FIOS.

I'm confused about integrating the new landline number with the old Ooma number (and Scout, if house wiring will support it). If I install the Ooma and provision the landline, which number will be associated with the hub? Both? My hope is to continue to use the old ported Ooma number as my main number to the Ooma Hub and use the new landline as a new second line. Then, should the Scout work with the house phone wiring, I would add it to the equation and be able to directly answer calls to that number (not totally necessary, but a nice option).

So, ideally I'd like to have all 3 numbers working together using the landline, hub and scout (so that instant second line would work), with the old Ooma number associated with the Ooma. Is this possible? Or must I hook the Ooma up separately from the phone line altogether, and give up the instant second line feature (I am already a Premier customer) and Scout? I don't just want to start blindly experimenting, since when I do have the landline provisioned it will incur an extra charge for the forward on busy.

Have I confused everyone else too?

Thanks for your help!

DS

ntoy

Re: Moving, Ooma Hub, and new landline

Post by ntoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello,

Currently your account has nonlandline configuration which means the hub would only need the internet connection(Verizon Fios in this case). If you were to change the configuration on your hub to your new landline, I'm not sure it would be in your favor since there would be a $19.99 fee to change the number & the hub and scout would be able to support a maxiumum of 2 lines. And if you were to add the 3rd number, you would need to maintain premiere services & it would cost an additional $4.99 per month.

With that said & as you mention with no issues with your home wiring, you may want to connect your hub & scout back according to how you had it. The hub & scout would have no dependencies on your landline being active. You would need to connect a regular phone to one of your physical wall jacks to receive/make landline calls on that number. Also, if you were to lose power or the internet go down, the phones connected to the hub & scout would just pass through to your landline dialtone.

There are some other options such as google voice you may want to look into as well.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:09 pm

ntoy wrote:Also, if you were to lose power or the internet go down, the phones connected to the hub & scout would just pass through to your landline dialtone.
heh?

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:13 pm

With the hub configured for non landline & plugged into an active landline, if you were to pull the power out of the hub, the active landline would just pass through to the phone connected to the hub.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Learn something new every day. Thx. Works the same way with landline integration mode?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 pm

lbmofo wrote:Learn something new every day. Thx. Works the same way with landline integration mode?
Yes, with the Hub if the Internet or power go out then it will switch over to the landline plugged into the wall port.

With the Telo, only if the Internet connection goes down will it switch over.

DSkoss

Post by DSkoss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 am

Thanks for the info and advice!

Just to be sure I've got this straight:

1. I reinstall the Ooma behind the router/modem (is it okay if I don't put it in-line with the computer and just have it attached separately?).

2. I attach the wall port of the Ooma to my phone wiring. This distributes the Ooma signal to the rest of the outlets?

3. I attach a phone to Ooma. This phone only responds to the main Ooma phone number.

4. I attach whatever phones I like to other phone outlets in the house. These phones will ring for Ooma (and the instant second line) or the landline, depending on which number is called. In the event of a power/internet outage, only the landline will work.

I guess I didn't realize that both Ooma and the landline could use the phone wiring at the same time (I seem to remember that I was supposed to completely disable the telco phone connection, when I finished the original number port).

Do I have this right?

Thanks again!

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 am

DSkoss wrote:Thanks for the info and advice!

Just to be sure I've got this straight:

1. I reinstall the Ooma behind the router/modem (is it okay if I don't put it in-line with the computer and just have it attached separately?).
Yes and yes.

2. I attach the wall port of the Ooma to my phone wiring. This distributes the Ooma signal to the rest of the outlets?
Yes

3. I attach a phone to Ooma. This phone only responds to the main Ooma phone number.
Yes

4. I attach whatever phones I like to other phone outlets in the house. These phones will ring for Ooma (and the instant second line) or the landline, depending on which number is called. In the event of a power/internet outage, only the landline will work.

NO. Those phones will only ring for the land line. You have to connect the wall port of a scout to the house jack and then another phone to the phone port of the scout to access the instant second line.

I guess I didn't realize that both Ooma and the landline could use the phone wiring at the same time (I seem to remember that I was supposed to completely disable the telco phone connection, when I finished the original number port).
The telco is disconnected if you don't have a land line to avoid feeding your phone signal back to the telco and to keep hum and noise from the Telco lines from affecting your service. It's even more complicated if DSL is involved.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

DSkoss

Post by DSkoss » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 am

Wow, thanks again!

NO. Those phones will only ring for the land line. You have to connect the wall port of a scout to the house jack and then another phone to the phone port of the scout to access the instant second line.
4. I connect the wall port of a scout to a house jack and a phone to the Scout. Then the phone connected to the Hub and the phone connected to the Scout will both ring on the Ooma line and I'll have use of the instant second line. A third phone is connected to another phone jack somewhere else and it receives/makes calls on the landline.

I think I read somewhere on the forum that if you wanted both the instant second line and the scout's phone number to work you need to use a splitter. Is this correct? Exactly how does that work? You run both phone lines from the Scout to the splitter, then the single line to the wall? I'm not wrapping my head around this one easily.

If I didn't care whether the scout phone number actually rings (being reasonably content with just getting e-mailed voicemail notifications), but do want the instant second line, do I just connect as described (4.) above?

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of the simultaneous use of the phone lines!