Tech Support Nightmares

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
maplewood
Tech Support Nightmares

Post by maplewood » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:38 am

Although I love my Ooma I am being completely nuts by the so-called Tech Support. Two issues are currently the source of my frustration:

1: I received an e-mail offering a $20 discount if I renew my Premier. Following the link takes me to the Add On page but there is no option to renew on that page. I have written and called multiple times (eight and five respectively) only to get back answers that are either flat-out wrong ("the offer is only for people who do not have Premier" although the e-mail specifically states "renew") or I get back the standard instructions to follow the link. I am told that the offer can't be extended over the phone. (Evidently Ooma doesn't know how to take a customers money).

I have been trying to get this resolved for more than a week to no avail.

2. My multi-ring is not working. I have two different numbers, one configured to scout, the other to the hub. The website shows the correct configuration (Line 2 is set to multi-ring) Ooma support insist that the number associated with the Hub is in fact connected to the scout. It never has been and it is not now. I can see where the wires go. This seems to happen more often than not -- the Ooma database is unreleated to reality. The fact that they can't understand which device to address makes it rather tricky for them to fix the problem.

(Update, on my third try the third rep finally figured it out but boy, what a struggle).

That the Manilla based reps have a hard time understanding English and/or are just not very bright only adds to my frustration. When Ooma first started it had GREAT support (San Diego based, I believe). On that strength I recommended Ooma to many folks. Given the worst-case-scenario-overseas-call-center situation we have now I could not ever recommend Ooma again.

Groundhound

Re: Tech Support Nightmares

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:29 am

maplewood wrote: 1: I received an e-mail offering a $20 discount if I renew my Premier. Following the link takes me to the Add On page but there is no option to renew on that page. I have written and called multiple times (eight and five respectively) only to get back answers that are either flat-out wrong ("the offer is only for people who do not have Premier" although the e-mail specifically states "renew") or I get back the standard instructions to follow the link. I am told that the offer can't be extended over the phone. (Evidently Ooma doesn't know how to take a customers money).

I have been trying to get this resolved for more than a week to no avail.
I'd try calling the sales number, 866-452-OOMA (6662), located here: http://www.ooma.com/company/contact

maplewood

Post by maplewood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 am

I certainly did try calling sales. They told me that the offer is only available via the web.
A company that doesn't know how to take a customers money has a real problem.

rooflady

Post by rooflady » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 am

Try getting ahold of Valentine or Carol.

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 am

maplewood wrote: ....That the Manilla based reps have a hard time understanding English and/or are just not very bright only adds to my frustration. When Ooma first started it had GREAT support (San Diego based, I believe). On that strength I recommended Ooma to many folks. Given the worst-case-scenario-overseas-call-center situation we have now I could not ever recommend Ooma again.
Okay, your quote is 'slightly' out-of-context but the tech support reps have always been in Manilla since I've joined, I called them several times in the first three months for different reasons and they have almost always been both courteous AND able to resolve my problems (the most difficult one being the need to get voicemail deleted and re-initialized and a hard reset on my OOMA - which needed - one incident and four or five calls to correct and verify). So its definitely a case of YMMV.
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:17 am

maplewood wrote:That the Manilla based reps have a hard time understanding English and/or are just not very bright only adds to my frustration. When Ooma first started it had GREAT support (San Diego based, I believe).
Actually, the first support personnel I talked to were high-level people in Palo Alto, CA. As you have stated, the support was great when you could get through. Too many customers for a small pool of experts. As the company grew, they added the offshore support unit. At first, they were so green that their help was really minimal - but over time, their knowledgebase and training have made things work quite well for most common issues. If it is something out of the ordinary, they have to escalate to either an advanced person in Manilla or someone in Palo Alto. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have a way to "hot switch" a person when escalation is required. That is my ONLY complaint with service. The company seems to really want to keep customer satisfaction at the highest possible level. Growing pains will be present in any successful company during their first years.

Here is where I take some offense at your post. Your comment about the reps can be read by some, "they have a hard time understanding English so they are just not very bright." I sincerely hope that this is not your real attitude because it smacks of prejudice and is NOT true. Some of the folks may be new - and they are probably sitting next to a more senior person who will help and critique their performance. I have talked to some very heavily accented speakers who reside right here in the US - and I don't think that their accent has a thing to do with their level of competence. If you have a hard time understanding an agent, ask to be transferred to another support person or call back. If you feel they are not understanding you, ask them to confirm your problem so you can verify they have it right. If the problem is unusual, posting it here on the forum is a definite option unless it requires resolution by ooma (like a routing or server issue or the ordering problem you described in your post).

Sorry to come off about your comment - if I am reading it wrong, then great. I'll stand corrected.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

maplewood

Post by maplewood » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:49 pm

My apologies. I thought I had typed "OR" not "SO." English is not my first language either so it would be a little hard to accurately describe me as insensitive to language challenges.

But when a you have to state the same facts over and over and over and the rep still can seem to repeat back to you what the issue is one does get a bit frustrated.

I don't want to make this a flame war about off shore support but I am profoundly underwhelmed with the tech support Ooma currently provides.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Thank you for your gentle reply. I had hoped that was the case. I may be a tad sensitive and apologize for assuming the worst. I am monolingual and in the past had a real problem with people who would use their native language in public situations. Then I had the opportunity to travel to other countries as a tourist. It is amazing to go into a grocery and shop by pictures on the items. I remember a time when we were in Italy and were buying what I thought was orange juice from the picture on the carton. We were backpacking and chose to buy our breakfast from little stores instead of going to a cafe. We just drank from the carton most days - then we had the opportunity to use a plastic glass - and were shocked to find that the "orange juice" was RED! It was actually from Sicilian blood oranges and that is their normal color! I also had an experience with crudo and coto meats. I asked if they were ready to eat - and of course, the person said, "of course." It opened my eyes to the fact that language is not our biggest barrier to getting along - it is attitudes! Again, I am happy that I misunderstood. And if you are fluent in multiple languages, I offer you my respect and admiration. I wish I had the same gift. Unfortunately, I have been less than successful in learning multiple languages. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

leejosepho

Post by leejosepho » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:28 am

southsound wrote:It is amazing to go into a grocery and shop by pictures on the items ...
My wife and I once shared our campsite with two young men who were foreign visitors and who spoke very little English. After getting settled in, they said they would be right back and asked whether we wanted anything from a nearby store. I asked for some cookies and milk ...

The milk was no problem, but the "cookies" they brought back were only in the picture on the label on a can of Crisco.

I thanked our fellow campers sincerely and my wife and I returned the "cookies" to the store in the morning.

The Ooma support folks have always either helped me out or eventually put me in touch with someone who can.