Faxing -what machines work?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Shawn
Re: Faxing -what machines work?

Post by Shawn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 am

I used to set fax mode as the default and I can send using my Toshiba laptop modem without any problem. Now that the fax mode setting is no longer there, I wonder my fax mode setting was "grandfather" in or removed. I have not send any fax recently.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:11 am

The fax mode setting in my.ooma is only available for the Telo. The Hub doesn't need that setting, since it has the fax capability set by that setting built in.

ButcherChop

Post by ButcherChop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:50 pm

I just bought a Brother 2820 from Costco and it seems to work in and out on my Ooma Hub. Ive tested it back and forth.

Its $100 off or so on the Costco website for $89, and only available online.

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Here is a thread with a couple good suggestions. Personally, I agree with the first reply.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8043
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

Jerald

Post by Jerald » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Fax machines are sooo outdated. Buy a good scanner/printer and use e-mail. Less trouble to send an e-mail with attachments if needed. When I was in technical support, 90% of my customers would not use a fax.
Ooma for me, works great for sending a fax, but receiving can be unpredictable from machine to machine.

yawky

Post by yawky » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Same issue here Jerald, I can send good but receiving is non-existent since a call to Dell support (3115cn all-in-one). I've wired straight from phone on my telo to the fax line on the dell, then to my phone. Any help would be much, much appreciated!!! :)

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:00 pm

yawky wrote:Same issue here Jerald, I can send good but receiving is non-existent since a call to Dell support (3115cn all-in-one). I've wired straight from phone on my telo to the fax line on the dell, then to my phone. Any help would be much, much appreciated!!! :)
To receive a fax on a Telo you must enable fax mode in your my.ooma account.
Preferences -> Phone Numbers -> click on the phone number -> click the box -> Save
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

yawky

Post by yawky » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks Murphy, but already tried that to no avail. I'm thinking its in the main office somewhere as I went from premier, to basic , back to premier and have had trouble all along, regardless of how I try, the "handshake" isn't heard by the fax machine and when it is, it's too late as the telo hangs up as if no one was there. I'm about out of tries on this. I even used my old answering machine post the fax as my primary answering machine but this is no way to operate.

Any suggestions.....sorry it took so long to reply, was expecting email notification but it never came.

Bob

Insomnia

Post by Insomnia » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:15 am

I can confirm the Canon MF8000 Series Color Laser Multifunction as well as the Epson Artisan 800/810. I highly recommend the 810, it's an incredible machine which can be found on the net these days for around $168 shipped. Spend an extra $80 for a quality CIS system and you have an inexpensive WIFI Multifunction with duplexing capabilites that prints stellar 4X6 glossies at the lowest cost of maintenence around. The Fax works flawlessly with Ooma.

Point of interest, I still use my Ooma Core system specifically because of this faxing issue. The Core has one distinct advantage over the Telo and that's when you use it with a Fax. The Telo has eliminated the ability to connect the fax to the hub and use your second number with your existing phone system (via scout). The system just works better with a fax than the telo does which requires you to use proprietary cordless phones on any additional lines you have. It would be really nice to see an updated version of the scout for the Telo, which would esentially allow the Telo unit to connect wirelessly to a scout-like device, thus allowing use of ones own telephone on any additional lines.

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Yep, perpending *99 to the dial-out number works for me, too. I have an Epson Artisan 800.

Thanks for the tip!!