Personal blacklist

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
VicMatson
Re: Personal blacklist

Post by VicMatson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:33 pm

koferong wrote:Please tell me how your problems were solved, because I still have the same exact problem illini described. Ooma Support responded to my email saying my blacklist feature wasn't enabled and proceeded to instruct me on how to enable it. I know I did enable it but the setting just won't stick after I log out!!!
After you go into "Blacklists" and have ticked(checked) to enable them and selected an action(I went with number disconnected), for me they are working perfectly!

From there unless you need to view or change those settings you don't need to go there again. From then on you can select any number to blacklist in your call logs. For whatever reason they have included some reenforcement. The row on the right will show up red. There is now a black box that pops up indicating that it was saved. No need to logout anymore. Anyway, I think that the behavior that is correct, so if yours isn't the same report back.

Btw, I haven't been convinced yet that the reboot vudu is gone yet, so when I have problems I restart the cable modem and the Telo box in that order, if for no other reason to make sure I have the latest upgrade. But this last one worked without me losing anything, or any grief.

koferong

Post by koferong » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:19 pm

VicMatson wrote:
From there unless you need to view or change those settings you don't need to go there again. From then on you can select any number to blacklist in your call logs. For whatever reason they have included some reenforcement. The row on the right will show up red. There is now a black box that pops up indicating that it was saved. No need to logout anymore. Anyway, I think that the behavior that is correct, so if yours isn't the same report back.

Btw, I haven't been convinced yet that the reboot vudu is gone yet, so when I have problems I restart the cable modem and the Telo box in that order, if for no other reason to make sure I have the latest upgrade. But this last one worked without me losing anything, or any grief.
By merely repeating Ooma's instructions for blacklist setting, you're assuming I (and many other users) do not know how to follow instructions. Please re-read my and illini's post, and you'll know that our frustration is with things not working the way they should even when you follow the instructions. Fortunately for illini the problem just went away after a few days without doing anything different?? But unfortunately for me I'm still waiting and Ooma is beginning to lose my trust.

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:40 pm

koferong wrote:
VicMatson wrote:

By merely repeating Ooma's instructions for blacklist setting, you're assuming I (and many other users) do not know how to follow instructions. Please re-read my and illini's post, and you'll know that our frustration is with things not working the way they should even when you follow the instructions. Fortunately for illini the problem just went away after a few days without doing anything different?? But unfortunately for me I'm still waiting and Ooma is beginning to lose my trust.
Ouch! No need to go there, but I was trying to explain what's new. Not that your post will make me read the documentation, or re-read this thread I was simply reinforcing illini's experience. This blacklist behavior is relatively new to Ooma, so while it's not going to help you it may help others.

illini

Post by illini » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:27 pm

koferong wrote:
Koferong,

Wish I could help, but my experience is pretty much what you described. After a few days and a few posts here, it suddenly started working for me and others. I assume somebody at Ooma took action of some sort on their end, but have no idea who it was or what they did to fix the problem. Sorry I can't be more help.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:34 pm

koferong wrote:
VicMatson wrote: From there unless you need to view or change those settings you don't need to go there again. From then on you can select any number to blacklist in your call logs. For whatever reason they have included some reenforcement. The row on the right will show up red. There is now a black box that pops up indicating that it was saved. No need to logout anymore. Anyway, I think that the behavior that is correct, so if yours isn't the same report back.

Sometimes it is valuable for either a support engineer or in the case of this forum, another experienced user, to ask rather simple questions to verify that you have exhausted the obvious. If I may, let me tell you a story from my own past: I was the Service Operations Manager for a major PC chain at one time. But when I bought a new USB scanner I was bummed because it would not fire up. I checked the startup guide. I loaded the proper software, twice. Made sure my USB cable was OK and securely plugged in. Verified power to the power strip. I even read parts of the thick manual. And nothing. When I called tech support, they asked me, did anything happen when you turned it on? I replied, "there's no power switch". They suggested I look at the back near the corner. I told the technician I'd call back when I felt less embarrased. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

koferong

Post by koferong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 pm

southsound wrote: Sometimes it is valuable for either a support engineer or in the case of this forum, another experienced user, to ask rather simple questions to verify that you have exhausted the obvious. If I may, let me tell you a story from my own past: I was the Service Operations Manager for a major PC chain at one time. But when I bought a new USB scanner I was bummed because it would not fire up. I checked the startup guide. I loaded the proper software, twice. Made sure my USB cable was OK and securely plugged in. Verified power to the power strip. I even read parts of the thick manual. And nothing. When I called tech support, they asked me, did anything happen when you turned it on? I replied, "there's no power switch". They suggested I look at the back near the corner. I told the technician I'd call back when I felt less embarrased. :P
Yes I did bother to call tech support, and spoke with not less than 3 people on this subject so far. The latest update from a level 2 support engineer out of San Mateo CA (or at least that's where his number is registered) is that the blacklist function is out of service, and has been for a while now - no idea when ETA is for a fix. I did clarify with him if only certain users are experiencing the problem, and he affirmatively told me, "No, ALL users are being affected."

Does this jive with what you folks are experiencing out there? I was under the impression some of you have resolved your problem, and some never even had any problem??

BTW, this is not the only problem I have. I also can't change my primary phone number ring pattern, even though I could with the secondary number. I also get this persistent 80% setup completion percentage on myooma dashboard, and when I proceeded to complete the setup (happens to be, you guessed it, "Configure a backup number"), the response is always "Service temporarily unavailable. Please try again." And of course the same tech support engineer couldn't figure that out either, and I'll have to wait for someone to call me again when they figured out the problem.....

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Hello koferong,

I'm not sure if the issue has to do with the hyphen in your name. I removed it & replaced it with a space.
Please allow a little time for things to update & try adding a number to your blacklist?

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:34 pm

ntoy wrote:Hello koferong,

I'm not sure if the issue has to do with the hyphen in your name. I removed it & replaced it with a space.
Please allow a little time for things to update & try adding a number to your blacklist?
Hyphen's are special characters and not allowed in some databases. I wish he would have said that earlier, years ago I spent hours with an issue like that. Think about adding some JS validation to your form.

koferong

Post by koferong » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:28 pm

VicMatson wrote:

Hyphen's are special characters and not allowed in some databases. I wish he would have said that earlier, years ago I spent hours with an issue like that. Think about adding some JS validation to your form.
Nice try, but no, the same issue is still there.

koferong

Post by koferong » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:40 am

koferong wrote:
VicMatson wrote:

Nice try, but no, the same issue is still there.
Good news - just as with illini's experience, the blacklist issue suddenly resolved by itself after a few days, and it has nothing to do with my hyphenated name which is still hyphenated.