Is Caller ID with Name a Premier feature?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Groundhound
Re: Is Caller ID with Name a Premier feature?

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Morpheus wrote: I still stand by my initial assertion; Basic subscribers do not need a Ooma Telo handset and will be far better off in acquiring a decent alternative handset that will at least give them a headset jack or Bluetooth capability right out of the box.
I don't think anyone would try to argue that Bluetooth headset functionality by itself is a justification for Premier, the addition of Bluetooth functionality to the Telo's Premier offering was, IMO, about cell phone pairing. The ability to also pair Bluetooth headsets was an easily included bonus but could not be easily separated from the cell phone feature. Cell phone pairing is the primary reason for the Bluetooth feature and a unique offering for Premier, as it was intended. For those who are only interested in headsets, it's easy enough to add that function with third party equipment, as you pointed out.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Morpheus wrote:Ooma omitted any possibility to connect a headset to their system when using the Ooma handset. If you bought Ooma handset to support Ooma then you are SOL for adding something as a simple headset. What phone manufacture nowadays fails to include jack for a headset.
My DECT 6.0 handsets got headset jacks. I never use them. AT&T decided to not have them for the newer model; most likely because not popular enough.
Morpheus wrote:However Ooma will charge a $10 monthly fee for this option, if you are a basic subscriber. Do you really think that Ooma had no ulterior motive behind not adding a simple 3 cent jack. If you do I have beach front property to sell you in Arizona.
Ooma's motive is clear. They want to constantly make Pemier more attractive so that folks sign up. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. To say that they want to charge you $10 for bluetooth isn't fair. Either you sign up to Premier because you want the features offered or you don't; can't be any simpler than that. Btw, I can't afford your beach front property because I am still paying mortgage on mine. I got some surfboards and a couple of large banana watersleds custom designed for Arizona beaches for dirt cheap if you are interested.
Morpheus wrote:I still stand by my initial assertion; Basic subscribers do not need a Ooma Telo handset and will be far better off in acquiring a decent alternative handset that will at least give them a headset jack or Bluetooth capability right out of the box.
That's fair but to say that Ooma plays games isn't.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:42 am

sardog wrote:Thanks for the link... So thats great... I can see all the names of my friends and family that call (that are already programed in my phone).... But unfortunately It's the ones that I don't have saved that I really need to see the names of.

As for how this is a bait-and-switch.... easy.... Caller-ID (with name) has been the STANDARD in the last 10+ years of use. If anyone is going to skimp on this most BASIC of features than they need to spell it out on the box and online.
My last AT&T bill from March 2009 has two separate detail lines:
Caller Identification $7.86
Calling Name Display $2.09

That comes to about the same price per month as Premier and I get a lot of additional features that weren't even available from AT&T.

huggybear

Post by huggybear » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:08 am

Yes, the box for my Telo says "Caller ID" as well. It does not say "Caller ID with Name" however. That's where the Premier service comes in. Personally, I'm glad to pay only $9.99 a month for this when I was paying AT&T $40 plus all the taxes for the same thing.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:38 am

huggybear wrote:Yes, the box for my Telo says "Caller ID" as well. It does not say "Caller ID with Name" however. That's where the Premier service comes in. Personally, I'm glad to pay only $9.99 a month for this when I was paying AT&T $40 plus all the taxes for the same thing.
Caller ID is Caller ID. As far as I know Ooma is the only one that have sliced and diced up a basic service such as Caller ID.

Ooma can't even control all the crap that happens when a Premier tier is downgraded to Basic, and they are slicing and dicing basic services. How compicated are they going to make this. Should Ooma be allowed to tell it's customer that Caller ID is included, and not tell them the service has been sliced and diced. When you get Caller ID from any other provider, you don't get part of Caller ID, and just becuse it's included doesn't mean they can go in a do what they want with it.

It's just going to get to a point where companies like Ooma, Vonage and the rest are going to disappear, simply because the Cell phone will be the future of preferred communications.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:42 am

Verizon sells caller ID. If you want caller ID with name the price is higher. I think they now charge close to $10 a month for caller ID with name. You can get the whole Premier package from Ooma for what it costs to just get caller ID with name from Verizon.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:08 am

murphy wrote:Verizon sells caller ID. If you want caller ID with name the price is higher. I think they now charge close to $10 a month for caller ID with name. You can get the whole Premier package from Ooma for what it costs to just get caller ID with name from Verizon.
The thing is, will they slice and dice the service. Say charge me:

Caller ID: $10
Caller ID (Name display only): $5
Caller ID (Number Only): $5
Caller ID (First Name & Area Code): $5

No, when they tell me I'm getting Caller ID, it's Caller ID. If they tell me Caller ID is included I expect Caller ID to be included, not some variant of Caller ID.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:03 am

Morpheus wrote:
murphy wrote:Verizon sells caller ID. If you want caller ID with name the price is higher. I think they now charge close to $10 a month for caller ID with name. You can get the whole Premier package from Ooma for what it costs to just get caller ID with name from Verizon.

No, when they tell me I'm getting Caller ID, it's Caller ID. If they tell me Caller ID is included I expect Caller ID to be included, not some variant of Caller ID.
It's even in the same thread :o viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5844&view=unread#p58718

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 pm

bw1 wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

It's even in the same thread :o viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5844&view=unread#p58718
I got this:
To clarify the Premier includes what is referred to caller ID deluxe, where the name information is also transmitted, not just the number (like cell phones do).
What is this 'caller ID deluxe'? I have never heard of this tem until I read it in the Ooma forums. Is this something that Ooma conjured up to siphon off bits and pieces from what we all know as 'Caller ID'?

So is it true:
Premier gets you: Callers Name and Incoming Number
Basic gets you: Incoming number only

tommies

Post by tommies » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Morpheus wrote:
What is this 'caller ID deluxe'? I have never heard of this tem until I read it in the Ooma forums. Is this something that Ooma conjured up to siphon off bits and pieces from what we all know as 'Caller ID'?
Don't be too harsh, BellSouth (a baby Bell, now part of SBC/ATT) had its CID and CID Deluxe, which is CID + Name($5/6 for CID, and CID Deluxe is $3 more, and it was at least 5 years ago.) So did Call waiting and Call Waiting Deluxe(call waiting with call waiting CID.) Other Telco is the same, the name maybe different, but the pricing tier is absolutely the same give or take a few cents.

A basic service from BellSouth/ATT cost about $37-$38 a month after all the fee and taxes, and it only has unlimited calling to a local calling area, no cid, no call waiting, no long distance, no extra feature, nil, nada.

For me, ooma is a prepaid phone service. It cost me $16.66/month for 12 month ($200/12). Now I'm in the 17th month, so I have free phone service in the last 5 months. The longer ooma stays in business, the better for me and many others ooma users. Oh, ooma needs to make money too, and pays dividend to its investors. If one wants more than the basic service ooma has to offer, one need to pay extra.

On the CID vs. CID Deluxe, ooma is on par with other Telco.
So is it true:
Premier gets you: Callers Name and Incoming Number
Basic gets you: Incoming number only
On a side note, the CID with name is not fully working right now. As I had mentioned in another thread, a ATT CID+Name ok on my Uniden, but not Panasonic, and another T-Mobile CID+name ok on the Pana but not the Uniden.
tommies