New Bluetooth Adapter/Femtocell

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jrank001
New Bluetooth Adapter/Femtocell

Post by jrank001 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi:

I just purchased the new ooma Bluetooth adapter for my ooma telo and I synced up both my iphones to it. Here is my question.

When I receive a call on my iphone, it goes through the ooma telo so I can answer it from any phone in my house. When I do that am I running the cell call through the broadband to the ooma telo or is the ooma telo used as an antenna for the cell phone?

I'm looking at purchasing a femtocell adapter from AT&T to boost my cell single in my house so my reception is better but now that I have the Bluetooth unit for my ooma telo do I need to?

Thanks

AzJazz

Re: New Bluetooth Adapter/Femtocell

Post by AzJazz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Your mobile phone is receiving the call over the airwaves, and routing the audio portion over the Telo (via Bluetooth).

So, if your mobile phone reception is almost unusable at your house, you will still want to get a femptocell node.

That will be an interesting arrangement, since you'll have your entire phone call going over your broadband connection twice - one set of your phone call audio going via VoIP to your mobile provider, and one set of your phone call audio going via VoIP to ooma.

Hopefully, your internet connection can handle it.

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

AzJazz wrote: That will be an interesting arrangement, since you'll have your entire phone call going over your broadband connection twice - one set of your phone call audio going via VoIP to your mobile provider, and one set of your phone call audio going via VoIP to ooma.
That's actually not true - if the OP receives a call on his cell phone, and has signal from the femtocell and uses Ooma Bluetooth, Ooma would not be using any internet connection because the call is not being routed through Ooma servers. Ooma is simply there for Bluetooth purposes, while your cell call runs through the femtocell through your internet. Your connection should be just fine.

EDIT: Replaced the word "MicroCell" with "Femtocell"
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am

jrank001 wrote:Hi:

I just purchased the new ooma Bluetooth adapter for my ooma telo and I synced up both my iphones to it. Here is my question.

When I receive a call on my iphone, it goes through the ooma telo so I can answer it from any phone in my house. When I do that am I running the cell call through the broadband to the ooma telo or is the ooma telo used as an antenna for the cell phone?

I'm looking at purchasing a femtocell adapter from AT&T to boost my cell single in my house so my reception is better but now that I have the Bluetooth unit for my ooma telo do I need to?

Thanks
The Ooma Bluetooth does nothing to help your cell phone signal - it only routes the audio from the phone to your Telo. If you need to get better reception in your home, the femtocell would definitely help. I currently own an AT&T MicroCell and it's fantastic. I get 5 bars throughout my whole home. Pair that with your Ooma Bluetooth device, and you'll get convenient access to crystal clear phone calls. Sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck!
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

jrank001

Post by jrank001 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Thanks for the great feedback. That helps a lot. I'll get the femtocell and see how it works out.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:25 pm

You may want to see if you can get one for free - http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT- ... ers-109310