Number Porting Suggestion

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
FreePhone
Number Porting Suggestion

Post by FreePhone » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 pm

I suggest Ooma lowers the porting price, as $40 sure seems like a lot of money to do this. Yes I could get the porting for free if I got the Premier service, but I think Premier is way to expensive for the features I would actually use.

Come on Ooma, throw us a bone. Paying $40 to keep the same number we have had for over 12 years is just insane. I already paid a premium price for your device.

lbmofo

Re: Number Porting Suggestion

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:30 am

The price isn't insane IMHO, wholesale porting services on these types of ports cost $25+
Retail pricing of $40 is pretty reasonable considering ooma has to keep its LOA dept staffed.
The price you paid for the device gets you very inexpensive or free home phone service so I think paying the one time $40 fee for porting is very reasonable. It just adds ~1 month to folks' break even point.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 am

I think the reason that the price of porting is high is because there's no monthly service fee. So they include it with a year of Premier.

There are other phone services (landline, cell and VoIP) that include porting for free, but they also have a monthly fee.

MagicJack and Google Voice with no monthly fees don't even offer porting.

heilpern

Post by heilpern » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 am

I don't feel $40 is too expensive either, considering you're going to save that in one to two months of dropping your existing service.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Yes, that's exactly right. Other phone providers absorb the costs associated with porting because they recoup them with monthly service fees over time.
bw1 wrote:There are other phone services (landline, cell and VoIP) that include porting for free, but they also have a monthly fee.
Bobby B

wildthing

Post by wildthing » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:58 pm

$40 porting fee is very reasonable I think. Its a one time fee and thats it. Ooma should probably raise it and not lower it in fact, since they aren't charging anything a month for their service (unless you have Premier).