Disable Option for DHCP

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lohertz
Re: Disable Option for DHCP

Post by lohertz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:14 am

The Ooma is not an advance routing device and should not be used as one.

rdstokes

Post by rdstokes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 am

WayneDsr wrote:Couldn't you place ooma after the router and let the router control QOS?
Mine does a much better job than the ooma hub does.
I assume Wayne is referring to me. My modem and router are in the same box from Uverse; it doesn't seem to have any QoS function in it.

I have a couple of WRT54GS's in the closet with an after market OS. However, I don't really care to add two routers back-to-back if I don't have to. (Although I was willing to do it with the Ooma if it was easy.)

I guess I could do this:
Internet -> (Uverse modem and Router with DHCP) -> WRT54GS bridge handling QoS -> Switch with the rest of my network including Ooma

So, you're saying I should configure my network this way?

Rob

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 am

rdstokes wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Couldn't you place ooma after the router and let the router control QOS?
Mine does a much better job than the ooma hub does.
I assume Wayne is referring to me. My modem and router are in the same box from Uverse; it doesn't seem to have any QoS function in it.

I have a couple of WRT54GS's in the closet with an after market OS. However, I don't really care to add two routers back-to-back if I don't have to. (Although I was willing to do it with the Ooma if it was easy.)

I guess I could do this:
Internet -> (Uverse modem and Router with DHCP) -> WRT54GS bridge handling QoS -> Switch with the rest of my network including Ooma

So, you're saying I should configure my network this way?

Rob
That would work very well. You could also disable the router in the Uverse and use it as just the modem, and do all of the routing in the WRT54GS.

I did the very same setup with my DSL modem. I shut off the router, and bridged my WRT54GL as my router. After lots of testing I found a good alternative firmware that handles QoS perfectly on it.

Scott

letimly

Post by letimly » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:45 pm

dmoney wrote:
bw1 wrote:I don't know if this is what you're trying to do, but read this thread/post:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8647#p8647
I ended up doing something quite similar, thanks for the link. My point in all this is a simple check box to disable the built-in DHCP server would save all this hassle.

Can you share what you ended up doing? I am trying to do the same thing -- not have the HUB try to assign IP addresses.

Thanks

dralter

Post by dralter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Yes the Ooma Hub seems to be lacking in some basic functionality, such as turning DHCP, disabling NAT, Nat-PMP or UPnP. Also, I question whether Ooma's port forwarding feature actually works. So far, I have been unable to get it to work. I would really love to put the Ooma after my router (Apple Time Capsule), however since my router lacks QOS, the quality of the call can suffers big time. Thus I must place the Ooma before the router which has been difficult to configure.

I can only run the Time Capsule in bridge mode, otherwise I would have a double Nat which is a big issue for Xbox Live on the Xbox 360. Since port forwarding does not work I have to place my Xbox 360 in DMZ to get the Xbox Live service to work. However, this cause issues with P2P, because again port forwarding does not seem to work on the Ooma Hub. So, to resolve the issue I have to put the computer with P2P running in the DMZ.

So yeah another vote for a little bit more functionality with the Ooma Hub.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:23 pm

dralter wrote:Yes the Ooma Hub seems to be lacking in some basic functionality, such as turning DHCP, disabling NAT, Nat-PMP or UPnP. Also, I question whether Ooma's port forwarding feature actually works. So far, I have been unable to get it to work. I would really love to put the Ooma after my router (Apple Time Capsule), however since my router lacks QOS, the quality of the call can suffers big time. Thus I must place the Ooma before the router which has been difficult to configure.

I can only run the Time Capsule in bridge mode, otherwise I would have a double Nat which is a big issue for Xbox Live on the Xbox 360. Since port forwarding does not work I have to place my Xbox 360 in DMZ to get the Xbox Live service to work. However, this cause issues with P2P, because again port forwarding does not seem to work on the Ooma Hub. So, to resolve the issue I have to put the computer with P2P running in the DMZ.

I think the general solution to port forwarding is to put your router in the Ooma DMZ.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:21 am

If it's going to be a router, let's put at least a 4-port gigabyte switch in it too. And how about an 802.11b/g/n AP?

Naah, it's a phone, not a router. Give us a way to turn off all router-like functions such as a DHCP server.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

nn5i wrote:Naah, it's a phone, not a router. Give us a way to turn off all router-like functions such as a DHCP server.
Exactly.

The best way to turn everything off is to use it in the advanced configuration.

dralter

Post by dralter » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:09 pm

scottlindner wrote:
dralter wrote:Yes the Ooma Hub seems to be lacking in some basic functionality, such as turning DHCP, disabling NAT, Nat-PMP or UPnP. Also, I question whether Ooma's port forwarding feature actually works. So far, I have been unable to get it to work. I would really love to put the Ooma after my router (Apple Time Capsule), however since my router lacks QOS, the quality of the call can suffers big time. Thus I must place the Ooma before the router which has been difficult to configure.

I think the general solution to port forwarding is to put your router in the Ooma DMZ.
This is an option for some, if they do not mind a double NAT. However, for me the Double NAT interferes with services like XBOX Live and Back to My Mac

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:33 am

dralter wrote:
scottlindner wrote:

This is an option for some, if they do not mind a double NAT. However, for me the Double NAT interferes with services like XBOX Live and Back to My Mac
It sounds like you need to use the Advanced configuration.