Extended warranty or not?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MsCoulter
Extended warranty or not?

Post by MsCoulter » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:38 am

My one year warranty for OOMA Hub/Scout will expire in about 5 months. I bought it with a credit card from amazon and it likey adds a year of warranty to my purchase. Does it pay to extend the warranty or should I buy a second ooma hub/scout as a backup? How does ooma handle warranty claims when the hub fails? How long will I be without phone service? I will need this ooma service for at least 6 more years. Thanks for any advice.

bw1

Re: Extended warranty or not?

Post by bw1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 pm

I think you would experience a period of no phone service if you required a warranty replacement. I don't know how long that would be.

Presumably, you're saving money each month since you replaced your previous phone service with Ooma. After your break even point, why not put that savings aside each month in a savings account and then when your Ooma Hub quits working you can then buy a Telo or whatever is the latest Ooma device at that time using the money you've saved.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I now know what I will do. Google voice just began to allow number porting so I will switch to that if my ooma dies prematurely. I am hooked on my phone number which is why I fell in love with ooma. Here is the info: http://www.informationweek.com/news/tel ... ed_IWK_All

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 pm

What are you going to do about your home phone service? GV doesn't provide that.

kruegs

Post by kruegs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 am

GV only allows ports (right now) from cell phones... no VOIP or landlines as far as I can tell.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 am

kruegs wrote:GV only allows ports (right now) from cell phones... no VOIP or landlines as far as I can tell.
In the first paragraph of the article it says "Google is finally offering Google Voice users the ability to use an existing mobile or home phone number with the online calling service."

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 am

Shortly after my last post, I received an email from ooma offering to extend my warranty for $40 per year for up to 2 years. I would take it except that when my ooma is disconnected, callers hear one ring followed by dead air and no voicemail. They attempted to fix it but subsequent tests had the same result. My point is that if there is no backup voicemail at the very least when the ooma is disconnected, then it will be much quicker to get back online if I purchase another ooma unit or port my number to google voice. Having to wait for warranty repair or replacement plus time lost in transit is far too long and not worth it to me. I do not have premier service, and I use the Hub/Scout. I previously figured that I didn't have voicemail backup because I am not on premier. Ooma support says otherwise? I consider voicemail backup when off line to be a very basic service anyway. Just wondering if anyone else understands why it works the way it does. Should I continue to jump through hoops in an effort to fix it? Does ooma support know what they are doing?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:38 pm

MsCoulter wrote:Shortly after my last post, I received an email from ooma offering to extend my warranty for $40 per year for up to 2 years. I would take it except that when my ooma is disconnected, callers hear one ring followed by dead air and no voicemail. They attempted to fix it but subsequent tests had the same result. My point is that if there is no backup voicemail at the very least when the ooma is disconnected, then it will be much quicker to get back online if I purchase another ooma unit or port my number to google voice. Having to wait for warranty repair or replacement plus time lost in transit is far too long and not worth it to me. I do not have premier service, and I use the Hub/Scout. I previously figured that I didn't have voicemail backup because I am not on premier. Ooma support says otherwise? I consider voicemail backup when off line to be a very basic service anyway. Just wondering if anyone else understands why it works the way it does. Should I continue to jump through hoops in an effort to fix it? Does ooma support know what they are doing?
Ooma voicemail kicks in if your device is offline no matter what service level.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 pm

MsCoulter wrote:
kruegs wrote:GV only allows ports (right now) from cell phones... no VOIP or landlines as far as I can tell.
In the first paragraph of the article it says "Google is finally offering Google Voice users the ability to use an existing mobile or home phone number with the online calling service."
True, you can use Google Voice with your home number by having GV ring your home number, but you cannot port your home number to GV.

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 am

I just upped my warranty on my Hub & Scout. If my unit dies, I want OOMA to send me another Hub & Scout. If I don't have warranty, they will offer me the option to purchase a Telo upgrade. I would much rather keep my Core system. I like having the Scout, and If I move to a Telo, my caller-id plus name would be downgraded to caller-id without name because I am not a premier member. I would like to keep my Core until OOMA releases a new system, then I will consider an upgrade.