Number Porting was FAST!

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
midas
Re: Number Porting was FAST!

Post by midas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:39 pm

midas wrote:At 36 hours after I started I am at the 3rd step, port initiated. Here's where it gets interesting. They estimate 8-10 as the completion date. I thought this was the part that was now mandated to be 1 day. That means it's possible it could be done by this time tomorrow.
Quoting myself...

Well it's now been 3 full days since I started on this, and a full 2 days since they said PORT INITIATED. Well, so much for the new 1 day rule. tnid.com still shows the number belonging to Ameritech. Estimated completion date of 8-13 still showing.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 pm

midas wrote:
midas wrote:At 36 hours after I started I am at the 3rd step, port initiated. Here's where it gets interesting. They estimate 8-10 as the completion date. I thought this was the part that was now mandated to be 1 day. That means it's possible it could be done by this time tomorrow.
Quoting myself...

Well it's now been 3 full days since I started on this, and a full 2 days since they said PORT INITIATED. Well, so much for the new 1 day rule. tnid.com still shows the number belonging to Ameritech. Estimated completion date of 8-13 still showing.
Quoting you quoting yourself :D

I think ooma is considered "small" carrier so they have 6 month grace from the FCC mandate. Feb 2011, they'll have to get with the program.

midas

Post by midas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:03 pm

lbmofo wrote: I think ooma is considered "small" carrier so they have 6 month grace from the FCC mandate. Feb 2011, they'll have to get with the program.
As I said earlier though, I thought the new law was to prevent the company losing the customer from stonewalling and giving themselves a chance to contact the customer. I don't know if it even applies to the side winning the customer.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 pm

It applies to both sides since slowdowns could exist on the winning carriers' side as well. As a consumer, you can complain no matter where the problem is that your port didn't complete in 1 business day to the FCC. In the case of ooma though, I am not sure whether their operation can handle a port within a day even if the big boys released your number within a day.

midas

Post by midas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

I didn't really post this as a complaint. Just a matter of trying to chronicle the process after the new law.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 pm

midas wrote:I didn't really post this as a complaint. Just a matter of trying to chronicle the process after the new law.
I know but what I am saying is that the big boys are probably releasing numbers within a day but ooma is the one taking the time since they are exempt for now. Maybe the big boys releasing numbers sooner would speed up the process overall but won't see 1 day until next year.

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 pm

I stumbled across this topic as I was wondering why my port was scheduled to take 20 days. I had not found the FCC mandate until this morning.

I am a tad depressed that I will be paying for 3 weeks of a service I don't really need, but those are the breaks. I was not at all worried about the duration of the port until I saw the FCC reg change.

Does anyone have any experience with the "estimated completion date" being wrong on the side of quickness (i.e. port happens before the estimated date)?

midas

Post by midas » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Interesting, my estimated completion date is only 10 days after the order was placed. Did you place your order before or after August 2nd?

renatae

Post by renatae » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:19 am

Mine is supposed to be 9 days and my order was placed Aug 3rd. The info published in knowledge base still says 3-4 weeks. What the actual date is most likely to be is what is put into your "porting status" in your MyOoma and emailed to you.

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 am

midas wrote:Interesting, my estimated completion date is only 10 days after the order was placed. Did you place your order before or after August 2nd?
I placed my order August 5.