Caller ID needed on forwarded line?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Lakeo
Caller ID needed on forwarded line?

Post by Lakeo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 am

Because of an alarm system, I maintain a land line.

I currently have Caller ID on this line, but forward all incoming calls to my Telo. I have Premier so I get both callers name and phone number on the phones connected to the Telo and on the Telo handset.

I’m interested in cutting the cost of the land line to a minimum.

My question. If I discontinue the Caller ID feature on my land line, will I still get caller ID on the Telo phones, or does the Telo some how depend on what Caller ID is sent by the forwarded land line?

Thanks for your help.

southsound

Re: Caller ID needed on forwarded line?

Post by southsound » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am

Unfortunately, it depends on the carrier and the provisioning and class of switch they use in their central office. Most will pass CID with no problem - but a few strip it away as they forward it. Your only way to know for sure is to get through to either the engineering department of your local telo - or possibly a repair technical support person. It might be difficult, but you should be able to reach someone who can tell you for sure. Don't rely on the sales people to know.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:35 am

Hello,

To recap:
-You have ported your number to your telo(Nonlandline config)
-You have a Landline which you are forwarding all calls to your telo(ported number)

Question:
What will happen if you discontinue caller id service with your Landline provider?

If the caller is listed in your Ooma contact lists, you should see the callerid displayed.

For callers not in the contact list, I cannot tell for sure. I am going to venture to say that it may come up as blank, unknown, etc. Your Landline provider may be able to answer if they are willing to help.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:49 am

Norm,

Please see my reply just above yours. There are certain central office switches that will NOT pass the CID number itself - not just the CNAME on a call forward. In this case, they may even pass the number dialed as CID so the Telo would see the number that the calling party dialed - not their own. If the call does not see the correct CID number itself, then nothing the Telo can do will provide it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for the info, Southsound!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:02 pm

lakeo, if you ported your number to the Telo and you maintain a landline just for alarm, why are you having folks call your landline?

Lakeo

Post by Lakeo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I haven't ported my land line number.

Basically figured that since I have to have the land line there didn't seem to be much reason to port the number, at least now. (I'm looking into a wireless setup for the alarm system.) That of course is based on the fact that added to basic service, "call forwarding" is pretty cheap, $6 per month. Caller ID is something else, $9 per month. Which was the reason for my question.

Southsound, you and I exchange emails on this back in June and you suggested I contact Qwest about this issue. Frankly, I haven't done that yet, figuring that trying to get an answer from Qwest would be like jumping into a black hole. I'll pursue it though and let you know if I find out anything.

Thanks all.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 pm

If I were you, I'd port your number to ooma and get another number that you don't care about for the barebones landline.

Lakeo

Post by Lakeo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 am

That would be to easy, save time, and make sense. Why would I want to do that?