Is the HUB product still being updated?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
wafl_scan
Is the HUB product still being updated?

Post by wafl_scan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 pm

If I look in the Release Notes forum I don't see any recent entries for the Hub product. Is that product still being updated? If so, where do you post any fixes that are for it? Is there something I have to do to get the firmware updated to the latest release? Thanks.

sfhub

Re: Is the HUB product still being updated?

Post by sfhub » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 pm

It's doubtful you'll see any more updates to the hub unless some serious problem crops up. It appears to be in end-of-life maintenance mode. You don't upgrade the firmware yourself. Ooma schedules the update for you automatically.

This is my opinion, not Ooma's official policy.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

Hello,

sfhub is correct. We already stopped manufacturing Hubs/Scouts.
We'll continue to support Hubs/Scouts.

oomg

Post by oomg » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:04 am

ntoy wrote:Hello,

sfhub is correct. We already stopped manufacturing Hubs/Scouts.
We'll continue to support Hubs/Scouts.
Too bad... I have both types of systems (Hub/Scout and Telo), and IMHO the Hub/Scout is better suited to some applications. In addition, I like the ability to vary the sound volume (and light brightness) without having to sequence through the 4-5 steps required on the Telo.

I might have missed something, but as I see it, there is no convenient way to segregate the lines with the Telo as can be accomplished with the Hub Scout. For example, in my home application, I have the primary home number on the Hub which is set up at my personal desk. I split the "wall" port connection at the back of the Hub with one line going to a Scout that is adjacent to my Hub, and which is assigned to my second [personal and private] number. Another line from the split "wall" plug is plugged into the wall plug formerly used for my pots line, and as such, which is distributed to two other Scouts in different rooms. A multi station cordless base station (6 units total) is connected at the Hub, and separate cordless base stations (1 with 4 units and the other with a single unit) are connected to the Scouts in these other rooms.

Now, the neat thing about this set up is that so long as I am not using my Ooma private line, two calls (incoming, outgoing, or a combination) can take place at the same time on the primary telephone line so long as the second call uses a phone unit (or a cordless system tied to a base station) that is connected to a different Scout. In know, it sounds a little crazy, but it works.

I don't think I can duplicate my system with the Telo. So, my recommendation would be to develope a satellite station similar to the Scout to enhance the overall usefulness of the Telo system. In the meantime... don't trash the Hub/Scout system.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.