Scout question

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
lbmofo
Re: Scout question

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:01 pm

To distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you need to be certain that nothing else is connected to your house wiring that may apply some kind of voltage; otherwise you may damage your Hub.

If you want to get ooma dialtone from all your wall jacks inside your house on top of being able to plug in a Scout in any wall jack, do the following:

Use one of these (on the other side of this adapter, there is just 1 port instead of 2):
Plug the unplugged plug into the single port (take out the inline coupler), plug the Hub's wall port into 1 of the 2 ports and plug the Hub's phone port into the other port.

If you can't find one of the adapters above, just use these kinds but you'll still need the inline coupler connected to the uplugged plug.
A duplex splitter similar to this came with your ooma device; this will also work:

If you want to connect a phone to the Hub as well, just plug one of these into the phone port of the Hub so you can turn Hub's 1 phone port into 2.

By the way, where are those thick brown wires connected to your red & green screw terminals coming from?

Your NIB:
shahniraj's NIB.JPG
shahniraj's NIB
shahniraj's NIB.JPG (17.94KiB)Viewed 5774 times

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 am

OK will take some time to digest this info but i have encountered two issues that I would like to address first:

1) my ping is showing up too high when i run speedtest.net report (the speed results continue to show optimal speed down and up both but when i actually surf web, i can see the lagging in loading pages and slowness is there....why?

2) i noticed last night when i was walking by the scout, the blue light disapperaed and red light started blinking for roughly 1 or 2 mins and then blue light came back on and its working fine again. why does this happen? should i be worried? does it have anything to do with issue number 1?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm

I never seen my hub or scout lose blue light but one of my friends' used to lose blue light once in a while and it got fixed after I changed his hub's modem port to built in MAC address.

Check out a few things: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8159#p57483

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:39 am

OK not sure what to do here but the blue light on scout is completely gone
now its red light blinking on scout but the phone works fine.....internet is fine too but gotta be something wrong since its red blinking light and not blue solid

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:38 pm

any one still willing to help here?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:43 pm

What happens when you use a short phone cord and connect Hub's wall port directly to the Scout's wall port?

If the Scout's ooma tab turns blue, that means something is wrong with your house wiring.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:14 pm

After you got the scout working a while back, did you later try to mix in the dialtone for distribution?

shahniraj

Post by shahniraj » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:55 am

will check and let you know

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:40 am

lbmofo wrote:To distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you need to be certain that nothing else is connected to your house wiring that may apply some kind of voltage; otherwise you may damage your Hub.
Does that mean I should not use the splitter that came with ooma to plug both phone and wall jack together in to my house wiring?

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 am

roadshow wrote:
lbmofo wrote:To distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you need to be certain that nothing else is connected to your house wiring that may apply some kind of voltage; otherwise you may damage your Hub.
Does that mean I should not use the splitter that came with ooma to plug both phone and wall jack together in to my house wiring?
No. It means that if you don't have DSL then you need to make sure your internal phone wiring is disconnected from the utility at the NIB - the phone box on the outside of your house. You can usually just unplug the little modular cords to accomplish this. Disconnecting them means that you will not be sending your ooma dialtone to their equipment and their equipment will not be interfering with your system. I also recommend a note that says, "Do not reconnect. Customer Equipment may be damaged."

If you have DSL you need to use a "clean" pair of wires for sending the signal to the rest of the house.

And don't even get me started if you chose to "integrate" your old telco landline with your ooma.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.