Using Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
podil1963
Using Ooma

Post by podil1963 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:57 am

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help me out on this issue. I have a question about using Ooma instead of a land line to conduct tests on a pacemaker battery. Currently my home phone number is in the process of being ported over to Ooma from Cincinnati Bell with a estimated completion date of Aug 24th. I have DSL service with them as well and surely will be disconnected from it once the porting process is complete. I'm working on that issue, among others, that have been plaguing me about the change over to Ooma for this is a whole new experience to me. But getting back to my question. My dad, who is 85, has been relying on the use of the land line phone for his pacemaker battery tests every so often. Since I am changing over to Ooma and am considering dropping my land line service with CB will my dad still be able to have his battery tests utilizing the Ooma service or will I have to keep a basic land line established for him to use? Thanks to anyone that can be of help in this matter.

southsound

Re: Using Ooma

Post by southsound » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:27 am

podil1963 wrote:Hello and thanks for taking the time to help me out on this issue. I have a question about using Ooma instead of a land line to conduct tests on a pacemaker battery... My dad, who is 85, has been relying on the use of the land line phone for his pacemaker battery tests every so often. Since I am changing over to Ooma and am considering dropping my land line service with CB will my dad still be able to have his battery tests utilizing the Ooma service or will I have to keep a basic land line established for him to use? Thanks to anyone that can be of help in this matter.
Please reconsider dropping your landline. Although there are many who will tell you that VoIP is totally reliable, I would not trust it for something as precious as your father's life and well being. Why not keep the landline at the most basic rate (no features, etc.) and use it for dad's battery tests? It will also work for calling 911 if the power goes down. In our area with Qwest, the landline is backed up by batteries and works for at least the first 10 hours of a power outage. The DSL is not backed up, so our ooma phones go dead even though I have my network and the ooma on a UPS. If you do decide to keep the landline, you will need to coordinate things so you don't have it automatically disconnected when the port goes through. JMHO.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

DTMF

Re: Using Ooma

Post by DTMF » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 am

Ooma (and any other VoIP service) is not ideal for any type of data connection. Rather that continuing to pay for a landline, perhaps you should investigate whether there could be a way that the battery test could be sent via your Internet connection?

I was able to get my home security system connected via the Internet instead of the phone and I appreciate the savings. :cool:

If you want to try the existing setup for battery checking before investing in a new connection method, make sure to have the battery checking device dial *99 before it dials its number to make the connection. That forces your Ooma device to use a setting that is best for data connections.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.