I call, it rings, tjey pick up, no connection.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
nn5i
I call, it rings, tjey pick up, no connection.

Post by nn5i » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 am

I call, it rings, they pick up, they hear nothing and I still get the ring signal. Eventually I hang up, my friend calls back, and we talk. So why can't we talk when she picks up?

This has been happening for perhaps a week whenever I call the Portland OR area. It may be happening other places too, but I don't make many calls.

I guess I'll call Customer Support tomorrow, although I doubt there will be any result from a call. They certainly haven't done anything about my outgoing-caller-ID problem in the nearly two and a half months I've had the Telo (another thread). I don't think much of Ooma's performance in fixing problems, although when it works it works very well.

we4inaz

Re: I call, it rings, tjey pick up, no connection.

Post by we4inaz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:15 am

That's been happening with me, too! I have the Ooma Hub and it happens when I call up to Seattle.

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:52 am

It's been happening to my mother's OOMA phone too. She lives in a suburb of Rochester, NY called Greece.

beachboui

Post by beachboui » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:02 am

I am having this same issue. I have the Telo unit. I hear the phone ring and ring on the other end, even though the other party has picked up and is saying, "Hello... hello... hello..." So, I hang up and they call me back and everything sounds fine. So far, I only know of this happening on the local monopoly phone service, Century Link. I haven't made enough calls to know if it's also happening with long distance calls. I just spoke with tech support. The young lady said they have had other complaints, but apparently there is no consensus on what the problem is. I think its strictly an Ooma issue. Never had this with Vonage.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 pm

It happened again about an hour ago. Gee, this is fun.

trelyea

Post by trelyea » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:23 am

Not sure if it's the same issue, but when I call my sister in Rhinebeck, NY (I have Ooma, she has Time Warner VoIP), it stops ringing when she pick up, but I cannot hear her for about 5-10 secs. The only number I have a problem with so far.

stustep

Re: I call, it rings, they pick up, no connection.

Post by stustep » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I am having the same issue. I live in Georgia and I am calling a 706 area code from a 770 area code. I'm using AT&T dsl. My Ooma was working perfectly before the "east coast outage" that occurred nearly two weeks ago. I place a call, it rings, rings, rings, they pick up and there is no one there while it continues to ring on my end. OOMA ARE YOU LISTENING? I have publicly praised ooma but all that is about to change and become negative comments and the Ooma is going to go on ebay.

southsound

Re: I call, it rings, they pick up, no connection.

Post by southsound » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm

stustep wrote:I am having the same issue. I live in Georgia and I am calling a 706 area code from a 770 area code. I'm using AT&T dsl. My Ooma was working perfectly before the "east coast outage" that occurred nearly two weeks ago. I place a call, it rings, rings, rings, they pick up and there is no one there while it continues to ring on my end. OOMA ARE YOU LISTENING? I have publicly praised ooma but all that is about to change and become negative comments and the Ooma is going to go on ebay.
Have you contacted customer support? This forum is a great place to vent but normally we can't do much as far as fixing a problem with a carrier or routing - that is something that only ooma can do. If you haven't logged a ticket with customer support, don't be surprised if nothing happens. In case you need to call them, their number is 888 711-6662. I am sure they would like to get up up and running and satisfied. Not because they fear your negative comments but because the want to make you happy with your phone service.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't know whether Stustep has contacted Customer Support, but I certainly have. I was on the phone with a pleasant but not particularly helpful person using the name Paula, for about 95 minutes. I had tried calling a friend whose phone service is through Comcast. Paula's position was that the problem occurred with only one destination, that it was Comcast's problem, that Ooma wasn't going to notify Comcast or work with them, and that my friend should call Comcast. Needless to say, none of that was satisfactory.

(1) No matter whose system is the cause, Ooma should contact Comcast and work with them. Any notification to Comcast should be done by Ooma, and the two should work together. Anything less is very poor customer service, and fails to comply with FCC regulations. Common carriers like Ooma and Comcast are absolutely required to work together, notify each other, and liaise with each other. If the problem persists and no attempt is made by Ooma to get a a fix from Comcast or to fix it themselves, I will be in contact with the FCC, probably the FCC Consumer & Governmental Affairs,
Consumer Inquiries & Complaints Division at 445 12th St NW, Washington, DC 20554, but possibly also with the Common Carrier Bureau unless it's been reorganized out of existence since last time I worked with CCB. FCC has frequent reorgs.

(2) I am certainly not going to ask my friend, a woman in her 70s, to initiate contact with Comcast and attempt to explain to them what I have already explained in minute detail to Ooma. I have reported the problem to Ooma, with specific data including the number called, the exact times called (multiple, on different days), and all other requested information. Ooma has this information, I'm an Ooma customer, and Ooma is absolutely required to contact Comcast if necessary, or fix the problem themselves. Finger-pointing, passing the buck, and refusal to escalate the problem as necessary, wherever necessary, is not reasonable, not customer-friendly, and not in regulatory compliance.

Perhaps it's apparent that I'm tired of the runaround.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 pm

This is a known problem at Ooma and there is an ongoing thread about this issue.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9039

Ooma.com having a problem with outgoing calls not terminating. Ooma slow to ack problem; no fix available. http://bit.ly/aenIlv

- Steve