Ooma Has A Problem

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
murphy
Re: Ooma Has A Problem

Post by murphy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Ooma to Ooma calls are solely within Ooma's network.
Ooma to cell or land line calls have to transition to a brick and mortar phone company (Verizon, Quest, AT&T, XO) before they can be completed. Those companies are the carriers. Quite often the problems happen in the transition. That's why it is important to give Ooma details (date, time, time zone, duration, from and to phone numbers) on problem calls so they can trace what happened in the call logs.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

murphy wrote:Ooma to Ooma calls are solely within Ooma's network.
Ooma to cell or land line calls have to transition to a brick and mortar phone company (Verizon, Quest, AT&T, XO) before they can be completed. Those companies are the carriers. Quite often the problems happen in the transition. That's why it is important to give Ooma details (date, time, time zone, duration, from and to phone numbers) on problem calls so they can trace what happened in the call logs.
I have all of that info in the logs. No one from OOMa has even asked for that info yet. I have to believe that they also can see all of the calls with a duration of "0.00". That's what shows on my logs for the failed calls.

beachboui

Post by beachboui » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:44 pm

So far (1 month) it has not been terribly reliable... but its a whole lot cheaper than Vonage. Still, what's it worth if it doesn't work right?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Last night I called a friend in Oregon, and all worked correctly except for the persistent Caller ID problem.

This evening I called her again and the problem had returned. She had to call me back, becuase when I called her and she answered, I still heard the ringing signal and she heard nothing. She knew it was me calling, because her Caller ID display said "Ooma". That's not fixed either.

stustep

Post by stustep » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm

I am having the same issue. I live in Georgia and I am calling a 706 area code from a 770 area code. My Ooma was working perfectly before the "east coast outage" that occurred nearly two weeks ago. I place a call, it rings, rings, rings, they pick up and there is no one there while it continues to ring on my end. OOOMA ARE YOU LISTENING? I have publicly praised ooma in the past but all that is about to change and become negative comments and the Ooma is going to go on ebay.

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:55 pm

There is definitely something wrong! I have been logging about a 40% call failure rate. The logs will be sent to support. It's looking like bad call routing issues to me. I have talked to Seoli Tomalolo from support, and am waiting for him to return my call. My parents are having the same OOMA dialing issues, they live about 6 miles from me.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

I am seeing the same problem.

It seems to be happening with Comcast VOIP customers that are on the terminating side of the call. When I call a Comcast VOIP Phone user, what I hear is the telephone rings and rings and then eventually Comcast voice mail picks up and I can leave a message.

On the Comcast side, they see and hear my call coming in. They answer the phone but no one there.

This problem started within the last 7 days.

I have been on hold for Ooma support for about 30 minutes. They just answered. Support says this is a known problem. The only solution so far is to reboot the Ooma however that doesn't fix the problem. So save yourself some time before calling support

Unplug the device, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back in.

Ooma then wanted me to mess with the connecting a laptop on the home port to look at quality of service. Current speedtest is showing 1.4Mbs down and 1.4Mb up. I am on a T1 line. I said if this is a known problem and lots of other folks are reporting the problem, how is looking at the QoS on my Ooma going to tell you anything useful. "Please Hold"

Ooma is adding my call to a master ticket they already have open about this problem and will email me when they have a fix.

In the mean time, Ooma should consider extending the Premier Service or issuing a credit for service until they can resolve this problem.

- Steve

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 am

I am going to try to talk to Seoli today. I have not heard back from him yet.

beachboui

Post by beachboui » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 am

This has been less of a problem for me over the past two days. But, I have noticed that I can tell when the call gets xfered to the carrier. There is a noticeable change in the ring signal. I can hear it switch... sometimes after a single ring, sometimes after several rings. If the ring signal doesn't change, the call likely will fail, because it doesn't get handed off properly to the carrier. If the ring signal does change, my call goes through. Anyone else notice this?

BB

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:03 am

Level 1 support at Ooma is now saying the problem is connecting (terminating) calls to Comcast Voice customers. This is a known problem that they are trying to resolve. They do not know what is wrong and do not have an Estimated Time for Repair.

So what this means is if you use your Ooma device to call someone using Comcast Voice phone service the call may not terminate. The person you are calling will pick up the phone but they will only hear dead air.

On the Ooma side you continue to hear the phone ringing and eventually the call is answered by the Comcast Voice Mail system.

This is a tough problem to find because you just think the person is not home or not answering the phone. ONly when they call you back do you learn they tried to answer your Ooma call but there was no answer.

Is this what you are seeing?

Are any of the people you are calling and they aren't answering NOT on Comcast Voice.

Post which carriers/phone providers you are calling when you are seeing this problem.

- Steve
Last edited by stevepierce on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.