Porting Suggestion

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
FreePhone
Porting Suggestion

Post by FreePhone » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Speed it up!

The status on My Ooma said my number was supposed to be ported yesterday, but now says "Action Required". So I called Ooma customer support and was told they are waiting on their partner carrier. I reminded them that I have been waiting over a month for my port and that they processed my $40. Of course they apologized and then said to keep checking my email and My Ooma, for status updates. The gal on the phone assured me the port will take place, but I have wonder how much longer do I have to wait.

Have to send off yet another payment to my phone carrier. :(

nitsudima

Re: Porting Suggestion

Post by nitsudima » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 am

Sorry I can't be of help to you, but I wanted to chime in and say "me too." I never actually received a firm port date, but my account has listed "Action Required" for several weeks now. Phone support wasn't much help. loa@ooma.com was initially responsive, but I haven't been able to get a peep out of them in over 2 weeks.

In the meantime I'm still paying for my landline and I'm burning my free Premiere trial period with only minimal functionality (I just have a single Telo handset hooked up -- I'm not going to hook up the rest of my phones until ooma becomes my main line). I knew porting wouldn't be instant, but ooma's lack of responsiveness is getting me close to full-out frustration. If I weren't afraid that a bungled port attempt would end up killing my landline anyway, I'd consider packing up the Telo/handset, taking them back to Costco, and giving Vonage a shot. My wife would be severely disappointed if we lost our current phone number, though. This is not turning out to be the easy "you'll never notice" process I promised her...

jds580s

Post by jds580s » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Exact same situation here. My land line port was supposed to go through yesterday now it's been pushed out another week.
I was also told that they were "waiting on their partner carrier".

I'm not sure if I understand them correctly but the way I take that is: 'It's not Ooma it's the carrier the numbering is being ported from which is slowing the process.'

I thought the FCC had shortened the time required for ports like these to 24 hours. My number is coming from AT&T so I highly doubt they would fall into the 'small carrier' exception group which are granted an extra few months to comply.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... 0708A1.pdf

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 pm

AT&T is able to release the number in 1 day but XO/ooma is probably requesting the completion date to be weeks out.

mcowher

Post by mcowher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:24 am

I'm in a similar boat. Estimated port date from AT&T is 9/6 (Labor day!!). I received that estimate on 8/20, but haven't gotten a confirmed date. I sent an email to loa@ooma.com yesterday, but have gotten no response.

Trying to use the "order DSL Direct on Port Day" approach that worked for swedrows in March, but now I'm worried I won't be able to use that approach because I can't get a confirmed date from Ooma..going to call them when they open this morning.

jacasaka

Post by jacasaka » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 am

Following instructions, contacted ATT to set up "dry loop" DSL before I port my number. They say they can't separate my number from the DSL until after my number is ported. When my number is ported, my account will be cancelled. Then I can call ATT and have my DSL restored as a dry loop. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

jacasaka

Post by jacasaka » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am

When I talked to ATT, they said that they have encountered problems where if the DSL is still attached to the phone number some VOIP companies can't port the number. Solution they have seen, involves cancelling DSL, porting the number then reinstating DSL (could result in weeks without internet service?)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8550#p59977

If you don't do the dry loop beforehand and do what they suggest, did they say if there is going to be cost to reactivate the DSL once your account is cancelled?

jacasaka

Post by jacasaka » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 am

They did not mention any reinstallation charge. But they said that they could not dry loop the DSL because the account was set up as a bundle with the phone number. Only way to dry loop was to port the number, which would cancel my account. Then I have 60 days to reinstall DSL service and maintain my email.

FreePhone

Post by FreePhone » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:36 pm

nitsudima wrote:If I weren't afraid that a bungled port attempt would end up killing my landline anyway, I'd consider packing up the Telo/handset, taking them back to Costco, and giving Vonage a shot.
For me Vonage is not even a consideration, because they would cost me as much per month as my current Charter Cable telephone service. I went with the Ooma 1st Generation model so I wouldn't have to pay a dime per month for home telephone service. Based on my current phone bill, the pay back of the cost of my Ooma box and porting fee should be around 8 or 9 months. I don't need the Ooma's Premier service because I can get all that for free with Google Voice.

Overall I really like Ooma, just not the slow porting process. I just hope my Ooma box lasts a long time, as I have no desire to get a Tela and have to pay fees. Maybe I should have bought two Ooma Core systems and had one as a backup.