faxing success!

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
just4fn
faxing success!

Post by just4fn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:50 am

I just want to be added to the list of fax success's.

I could not fax at all. I tried at least 20-30 times and it would not go through. I did what they said to do in the Ooma faq and still no success. I then read this forum and found if I disable QoS then it may work. Bingo- it now worked fine. My Qos is still above 90% with it disabled.

Do you think I may have quality issues since it is disabled?

modem-ooma-router
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

WayneDsr

Re: faxing success!

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:52 am

Normally if the fax works better, your voice will work better.

Wayne

daet

Post by daet » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 am

just4fn wrote: I could not fax at all. I tried at least 20-30 times and it would not go through. I did what they said to do in the Ooma faq and still no success. I then read this forum and found if I disable QoS then it may work. Bingo- it now worked fine. My Qos is still above 90% with it disabled.
There is clearly a bug in Ooma's QoS implementation, or, the computational overhead caused by QoS calculations introduces variable latency - a killer for fax transmission, but less of an impact on voice.

Disabling QoS should not impact your voice transmission. My own setup, after discovering that disabling QoS fixes the problem with fax transmission has been:

modem - router (WNR834B) - Ooma hub

I mention the brand/model of the router because it has an "intelligent" QoS implementation that is not user adjustable. My initial thoughts was that this is less desirable than the Ooma hub, which lets one adjust the QoS as necessary. However, practical use indicates the opposite to be true.

In either event, it would be nice to get some feedback from Ooma as to why disabling QoS makes fax transmissions reliable. So reliable in fact, that I have been able to occasionally use Super G3 transmission (V.34bis; 33600 bps), and can routinely use V.17 (14400 bps, fall back to 12000 bps, 9600 bps and 7200 bps).

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

mvalentine6705

Post by mvalentine6705 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm having fax trouble too. What is the QoS and how do I disable it?

Nat Ray

Post by Nat Ray » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 am

mvalentine6705 wrote:I'm having fax trouble too. What is the QoS and how do I disable it?
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... ty-service
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... stb2xsSDhr
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8921
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9096

Best regards,
Nat Ray :cool:
Cox Communications > Motorola SB5120 > Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700 > Telo / Cisco Catalyst 2924 XL
Telo Handset / Panasonic KX-TG6445 + 7 other handsets = 12
3 Desktops / 4 Laptops / XBOX360 / Wii

QoS managed by router via Ethernet port . . .