house wiring- second number

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Groundhound
Re: house wiring- second number

Post by Groundhound » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:07 am

jhphone wrote:So.... Ooma, why not ditto for voice mail, call waiting, and other user-settable settings?
You can, just not with house wiring. You just need to configure a Telo Handset as a "personal device" and then assign your second number to it, that way it will have it's own my.ooma login with separate voice mail and other features.

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Groundhound wrote:
jhphone wrote:So.... Ooma, why not ditto for voice mail, call waiting, and other user-settable settings?
You can, just not with house wiring. You just need to configure a Telo Handset as a "personal device" and then assign your second number to it, that way it will have it's own my.ooma login with separate voice mail and other features.
Thanks for the clarification. I was not sure exactly how that works.

But it seems to me there are two cases that need to be addressed separately by Ooma.

The first case is 2 lines, 2 phones. You have described how this is supported with the Telo handset.

The second is 2 lines, 1 phone. It is obviously possible that each number can be handled differently. Currently you can chose a specific ring pattern for each one. This should be extended to include other preferences such as call forwarding, blacklisting, voicemail settings, etc. IOW, any setting now supported should be available separately for each number.

I have 2 numbers and 1 phone. I want one number to always go to voicemail and not ring. I would also like to have the choice of a Calls Log for each number rather than just one combined list. This is nothing more than a routine software issue for heaven's sake!

So, to repeat my question ... Ooma, why don't you support individual Preferences for each line?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:02 pm

jhphone wrote:The second is 2 lines, 1 phone. It is obviously possible that each number can be handled differently. Currently you can chose a specific ring pattern for each one. This should be extended to include other preferences such as call forwarding, blacklisting, voicemail settings, etc. IOW, any setting now supported should be available separately for each number.

I have 2 numbers and 1 phone. I want one number to always go to voicemail and not ring. I would also like to have the choice of a Calls Log for each number rather than just one combined list. This is nothing more than a routine software issue for heaven's sake!

So, to repeat my question ... Ooma, why don't you support individual Preferences for each line?
With Ooma, lines and numbers are not the same thing. You can have numerous numbers all forwarding into one line. At the Telo phone port, there is only one line available on the hardware even though there are two pairs of contacts - the second pair is not functional. Wired access to the second line is an oft-requested feature but not available on the current iteration of the Telo. The only way to do what you want is to either use a Telo Handset assigned to the second line and then set to "do not disturb", or to use two Telos.