Recent terrible call quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
rwhummel
Recent terrible call quality

Post by rwhummel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:25 pm

It started couple of months ago with losing the other person for 30 seconds or so and then coming back. Now we lose the other person and might not get them back until we call again. Its a intermittent problem but happening quite often. Call quality is good when we have the other person.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2831672 bps
Upload speed: 306880 bps
Download quality of service: 24 %
Upload quality of service: 60 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 449 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 86 ms
Average round trip time to server: 87 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12000000bps
Route concurrency: 4.237779
Download TCP forced idle: 50 %
Maximum route speed: 6096272bps
Ooma customer since December 2009
Telo with Handset
Spare Hub & Scout
Lifetime Premier Member

rwhummel

Re: Recent terrible call quality

Post by rwhummel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Update on test results, these are only an hour and half later from the original results. I haven't been tracking these but maybe I need to.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4638888 bps
Upload speed: 344216 bps
Download quality of service: 94 %
Upload quality of service: 45 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 90 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 87 ms
Average round trip time to server: 89 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 20000000bps
Route concurrency: 4.311378
Download TCP forced idle: 70 %
Maximum route speed: 6026200bps
Telo with Handset
Spare Hub & Scout
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:46 pm

What kind of internet service do you have? I've had a case where call quality would be terrible (with drops) once in a while and found the cable modem to be faulty. It was having intermittent problems. New modem fixed the problem.

saysold1

Post by saysold1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:19 pm

I was disconnected using my office OOMA at least 3-4 times today. The caller I was speaking with suddenly started to fade in and out, and they could not hear my either.

The same issue happened today on our home OOMA (Core and scouts) at a totally different location here in Phoenix about 5 miles away with a different internet provider.

Lets face it - OOMA is suddenly becoming unreliable. What is happening over there guys? This has been a rock solid service, but recently the quality is terrible.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:09 am

saysold1 wrote:Lets face it - OOMA is suddenly becoming unreliable. What is happening over there guys? This has been a rock solid service, but recently the quality is terrible.
Ooma has been exceptional for me and all my friends/family up here in the great pacific northwest. Can it be that we are so close to where ooma is? :) Not sure why some of you are experiencing these quality drop offs (if they are indeed non internet service related); hope ooma will shed some light on this subject via this forum (ooma_status just reported an outgoing call issue today that was fixed but no details about what happend reported anywhere).

rwhummel

Post by rwhummel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:27 am

I have Comcast cable internet. I replaced my modem about 2-3 years ago because I was told from Comcast that it was probably bad. I have a Motorola Surfboard now and I have about a 5 year old Linksys WRT54g (I believe that is right). How can you test to see if the modem is bad? Could it be the router going out?
Telo with Handset
Spare Hub & Scout
Lifetime Premier Member

rwhummel

Post by rwhummel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 am

On speedtest.net I'm getting about 17.28 mb/s download and .34 mb/s upload speed. I understand these numbers change all the time being its cable internet but I use to get about 3.0 mb/s upload speed most of the time. Now last night at about 9:00 PM and today at7:30 AM I'm getting this .34 mb/s upload speed.
Telo with Handset
Spare Hub & Scout
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 am

rwhummel wrote:I have Comcast cable internet. I replaced my modem about 2-3 years ago because I was told from Comcast that it was probably bad. I have a Motorola Surfboard now and I have about a 5 year old Linksys WRT54g (I believe that is right). How can you test to see if the modem is bad? Could it be the router going out?
If you have cable modem, check into doing these things: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9142#p63650

dealing3000

Post by dealing3000 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am

I have to agree. Ooma has been horrific for me over the past month or two. Constant echoes and the other person dropping off. Also the person will call and I can't hear them but they can hear me. Now what happens is when I hang up the person on the other end hears that last second or two of audio that they said. Very strange behavior to say the least. I have FIOS with rock solid ping times, little latency and high bandwidth (30/25). Given the fact that nothing has changed for me in the past year and I went from rock solid Ooma service to this Russia roulette phone service, it is frustrating. I can deal with CIDCW not working on my phone but this call quality issue is too much. Over 50% of my phone calls now are having issues. My wife has given me the ultimatum that if this does not clear up we move off the service. Sucks I guess but she is right. The past two months have been too much to deal with.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Are you logging these "bad" calls and calling into Customer Service with them?