Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:40 am

Bob859 wrote:
Leeway wrote:I'm actually tired of this thread. If you buy a hot water heater or any other appliance for that matter with a 12 month warranty and it dies in 15 months do you think they are going to do anything for you?

Either go get Vonage or bite the bullet and get another Ooma. I would in a heartbeat!
Or you could consider http://www.nettalk.com
That's if you don't believe Dan LOL
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7758&start=60#p55520

Bob859

Post by Bob859 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:19 pm

That's if you don't believe Dan LOL
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7758&start=60#p55520[/quote]

I've used his crappy product and I've seen his phony (Hurry, less than 10,000 magicJacks are eligible to be shipped for the Free Trial Offer Today, Monday, September 06, 2010. This offer is not available in stores and will expire.) that has gotten a new expiration every 24 hours for about two years, so no, I don't believe anything that he says.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:44 pm

No ability to keep own number and lack of voicemail through phone or device kills it for me. Voice quality is reported to be better than Magic Jack but that doesn't say much....I am sure it ain't better than Ooma's exceptional voice quality.

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I want my Ooma Hub to last, that's why I keep mine on top of a "laptop cooler". Fry's has one on sale for $4 (free after rebate) this past weekend.

allo wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
TMRT wrote:So...my hub is not functional any longer and 60 minutes of troubleshooting with tech support brought the ooma rep to the same conclusion. Since the warranty is only 12 months, and since mine is 15 months old, ooma wants me to pay their "reduced" rate of $199 for a replacement hub. If this is any indication as to the life expectancy of the hub, then I might as well just pay vonage, right? I am considering dropping ooma.

TMRT
Just thought of something... did you keep the protective film/plastic on the Hub? I found that some people like to leave these things on electronic devices thinking that it would protect but in the case of the Hub, I think the film would make the unit run hotter and therefore resulting in shorter life.
It gets way too WARM/HOT even without the protective film...Poor ventilation design... and that is a killer for most "computerized"" electronic chips/ components.
We will see if the problem gets worse/widespread as the hub reaches 2 years!
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:14 am

ktinca wrote:I want my Ooma Hub to last, that's why I keep mine on top of a "laptop cooler". Fry's has one on sale for $4 (free after rebate) this past weekend.
How is yours powered? A lot of them are USB powered?

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 am

lbmofo wrote:
ktinca wrote:I want my Ooma Hub to last, that's why I keep mine on top of a "laptop cooler". Fry's has one on sale for $4 (free after rebate) this past weekend.
How is yours powered? A lot of them are USB powered?
I have a USB AC Adapter. It came from my old Blackberry. So its plugged into that 24/7.

I'm not recommending these products, but just want to give you an idea what type of USB AC Adapter I am referring to:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27528
OR
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20599
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

cylooma

Post by cylooma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:35 am

Same with my Telo. It gets pretty warm. I put a usb fan right next to the Telo. Now the Telo is nice and cool :D .
Cox HSI -> Motorola cable modem -> Netgear wndr3700 w/ Qos -> Ooma Telo -> Uniden DECT2188-3

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 am

Great idea. Any quiet ones you recommend?

ktwalrus

Post by ktwalrus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:10 am

I think this discussion has gotten away from the original topic a bit. The issue is that Ooma doesn't have an out of warranty hardware replacement program that just takes into consideration the hardware costs. Rather, it seems they just charge full retail price which includes at least $100 for the telco services it provides.

I think Ooma should provide a refurbished Telo replacement for under $79 on an out of warranty hardware replacement. If the customer is replacing an older model, they should continue to provide the same features with the newer hardware.

I really don't think it is fair to have to re-buy the whole service on hardware failure. Indeed, I think one could probably sue in a class action that since Ooma is requires you to have hardware to use their prepaid telco services and since Ooma is the only source for replacement hardware, that Ooma is obligated to provide hardware replacement at a reasonable price that excludes the prepaid telco services fees that are in the original purchase of the hardware/software bundle.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 am

ktwalrus wrote:I think this discussion has gotten away from the original topic a bit. The issue is that Ooma doesn't have an out of warranty hardware replacement program that just takes into consideration the hardware costs. Rather, it seems they just charge full retail price which includes at least $100 for the telco services it provides.

I think Ooma should provide a refurbished Telo replacement for under $79 on an out of warranty hardware replacement. If the customer is replacing an older model, they should continue to provide the same features with the newer hardware.

I really don't think it is fair to have to re-buy the whole service on hardware failure. Indeed, I think one could probably sue in a class action that since Ooma is requires you to have hardware to use their prepaid telco services and since Ooma is the only source for replacement hardware, that Ooma is obligated to provide hardware replacement at a reasonable price that excludes the prepaid telco services fees that are in the original purchase of the hardware/software bundle.
Your perspective "prepaid" might be the problem here. You are not prepaying for anything. When you buy a device, you get basic/free service for the life of the device. If your device goes belly up, that basic/free service ends. To continue the basic/free service, you just need to get another device. New or refurb, doesn't matter; just find one at the best price.