Ooma v/s TK6000 ( Net talk)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
lbmofo
Re: Ooma v/s TK6000 ( Net talk)

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:37 pm

You: "14 ooma core units deployed across the US" probably using 10s of thousands of Ooma minutes per month.

Me: 15 friends/family enlisted as ooma customers mostly in the Pacific Northwest logging light residential usage.

Conclusion: No contest.

As a staunch ooma supporter, I am not 100% sure that I want you to stick around but that's a whole different topic.

Since you are here already, why not leverage what you got and help out ooma a bit by providing robust data points to all the problems you experience?

jomo

Post by jomo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 pm

I don't visit this site much,but i caught the title of this thread and thought i should share my experience with the devices in question as well as others.I have used comcast voip.vonage,magicjack,tk6000 & now omma telo since 10/2009.The tk6000 belongs to a friend that let me try it in my home for about 1 month to test for her and let her know what i thought about this device. Hardware wise it is cheap and glitchy.Service wise it's about the same as the magicjack,ok but far from perfect. I used the magicjack for 10 months.When i discovered ooma and researched their service and the telo device i decided to try it.I was very impressed with the telo design and appearance but not so much with the voice quality. I also have the telo handset and it really sucked at first. After about 2 firmware updates,{especially the one that contained purevoice} the voice quality improved alot on both telo and handset.The telo now rivals comcast & vonage in voice quality.I'm still waiting for that cwcid fix but i'm confident that it is coming. The handset is much better but still needs some improvement.You handset owners know what i mean. So,if you want dirt cheap and do not care about occasional hardware problems or excellent voice quality every time you use the phone then you may like the magicjack or tk6000. I found neither one to be horrible. But if you require great voice quality and little to no hardware issues then comcast,vonage or ooma is your best bet in my opinion,and this is just my opinion based on my experience.I prefer the ooma because it is less costly then the others and requires no contract.The features are very nice as well.Hope this helps.

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:42 am

lbmofo wrote:You: "14 ooma core units deployed across the US" probably using 10s of thousands of Ooma minutes per month.

As mentioned in previous posts I have over 28 years of experience in IT and during 8 of hose years I have worked for 2 VOIP companies, mostly implementing VOIP in a corporate infrastructure. In addition I also worked for 2 of the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOC) implementing the phone companies version of VOIP.

Currently I am a Wireless Engineer for a nationwide carrier and in my spare time I manage the home phone service for my family who live across the US. Prior to Ooma I ran a PBX exchange for their phone service. Setting up a PBX is far from rocket science just Google it.

With regards to “10s of thousands of Ooma minutes” Really…you are joking here...right. First, this is a residential implementation, second I am sure ooma has internal controls for assessing how many minutes you are using each month so that they can terminate those customers who consistently exceed their allowed threshold. Finally, and more ironically if I were using 10 of thousands of minutes per month I would be well positioned to speak on behalf of the ooma quality of service. So your response does not make any sense.

Me: 15 friends/family enlisted as ooma customers mostly in the Pacific Northwest logging light residential usage.

Statistically the less you use the service the less likely will be affected by issues so your response does not make any sense. In addition, being geographically located in the same region makes you only representative of that region. It would be impossible for you to speak on behalf of the areas that are outside of your implemented sites. I am in 14 States that span across East and West Coast..

You have made no conclusions here only assumptions

As a staunch ooma supporter, I am not 100% sure that I want you to stick around but that's a whole different topic.

My $ 3,258 investment in ooma hardware allows me to be here and to be perfectly blunt I am not asking your permission.

Since you are here already, why not leverage what you got and help out ooma a bit by providing robust data points to all the problems you experience?
I tried to do this with their support team, but they wanted no part of it. Originally this enraged me but then I realized that I just don’t have the time to troubleshoot someone else’s network...my 9 to 5 keeps me pretty busy.
Last edited by Lilly's_Closet on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 am

jomo wrote:Hardware wise it is cheap and glitchy.Service wise it's about the same as the magicjack,ok but far from perfect.
About netTALK....thought/guessed as much but nice to hear it from someone who tried.
jomo wrote:But if you require great voice quality and little to no hardware issues then comcast,vonage or ooma is your best bet in my opinion,and this is just my opinion based on my experience.I prefer the ooma because it is less costly then the others and requires no contract.The features are very nice as well.Hope this helps.
Agree. Ooma is premium service that doesn't cost arm/leg.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:54 am

Lilly's_Closet wrote:
lbmofo wrote:You: "14 ooma core units deployed across the US" probably using 10s of thousands of Ooma minutes per month.

As mentioned in previous posts I have over 28 years of experience in IT and during 8 of hose years I have worked for 2 VOIP companies, mostly implementing VOIP in a corporate infrastructure. In addition I also worked for 2 of the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOC) implementing the phone companies version of VOIP.

Currently I am a Wireless Engineer for a nationwide carrier and in my spare time I manage the home phone service for my family who live across the US. Prior to Ooma I ran a PBX exchange for their phone service. Setting up a PBX is far from rocket science just Google it.

With regards to “10s of thousands of Ooma minutes” Really…you are joking here...right.

You sounded so "enterprise" so I really thought you were using oodles of minutes; all your units collectively.

First, this is a residential implementation, second I am sure ooma has internal controls for assessing how many minutes you are using each month so that the can terminate those how consistently exceed their allowed threshold. Finally, and more ironically if I were using 10 of thousands of minutes per month I would be well positioned to speak on behalf of the ooma quality of service. So your response does not make any sense.

That's precisely what I was saying. You use more minutes and geographically diverse so you would be in a better position to report issues.

Statistically the less you use the service the less likely will be affected by issues so your response does not make any sense. In addition, being geographically located in the same region makes you only representative of that region. It would be impossible for you to speak on behalf of the areas that are outside of your implemented sites. I am in 14 States that span across East and West Coast..

"No contest" meant that you are in a better position to experience issues.

You have made no conclusions here only assumptions

My $ 3,258 investment in ooma hardware allows me to be here and to be perfectly blunt I am not asking your permission.

Why did you have to foot the bill for your family's phone service?

I tried to do this with their support team, but they wanted no part of it. I was originally enraged by this but then I realized that I just don’t have the time to troubleshoot someone else’s network...my 9 to 5 keeps me pretty busy.

I believe one of the mods like ntoy would be very interested in your data points. Unlike me, you are seeing lots of issues in all these locations....report them.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I don't mean to resurrect rakesh15 or anything but.... :P
rakesh15 wrote:I think ooma and TK6000 has got equal comeptition , neck to neck.
rakesh15 wrote:Did anyone get a cchance to compare the voice quality of TK6000 v/s ooma?
I thought Ooma should be much much better....but here is something to check out. This one even comes from someone who is impacted by Ooma's recent carrier routing issues.
onoccasion wrote:I hope Ooma is able to address the quality of service issue. I think that's the key thing that's holding back positive referrals. In my mind, they're already ahead of MagicJack in terms of function offered and not requiring a PC to be on. I also previously tried NetTalk TK6000 (now Duo) and returned that device within my 30-day money-back period; product/service were not as professional as Ooma, and service was far worse (frequently had to reboot the device and call quality was not as good - often like a bad cell phone call). When Ooma calls do connect correctly, I've found the voice quality to be very good.