Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
nn5i
Re: Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Post by nn5i » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Leeway wrote: If you buy a hot water heater or any other appliance for that matter with a 12 month warranty and it dies in 15 months do you think they are going to do anything for you?
Who would want a "hot water heater"? Who wants to heat hot water? Me, I have an appliance that heats cold water to turn it into hot water, which it then no longer heats. It's called, simply, a "water heater".

So much for the fun stuff. But why doesn't Ooma offer a repair service? Replacement is not the only possible option, except that Ooma makes it so. And why, in 60+ posts, has no one thought of this?

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 pm

If this happens to me I will port my number to a number parking/voicemail service for a year and migrate to using my cell phone 100%.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:01 pm

MsCoulter wrote:If this happens to me I will port my number to a number parking/voicemail service for a year and migrate to using my cell phone 100%.
Home phone service may not be that important to you then. Even if your device breaks every year, that translates to $20 or less a month for hardware costs to obtain ooma's basic/free service. The kicker is....devices don't go out every year.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

lbmofo wrote:
MsCoulter wrote:If this happens to me I will port my number to a number parking/voicemail service for a year and migrate to using my cell phone 100%.
Home phone service may not be that important to you then. Even if your device breaks every year, that translates to $20 or less a month for hardware costs to obtain ooma's basic/free service. The kicker is....devices don't go out every year.
It used to be very important to me to have true landline service that would work no matter if there was a power outage or an Internet outage. I was paying about $28/mo for Verizon without making any outgoing calls...just to be able to receive calls and feel secure. Ooma is VOIP which brings me one step closer to being without a home phone line or number. I also have MagicJack, so its not like I don't have an alternative way to make phone calls w/o using cell minutes. Its hard to give up a number I have had for 24 years, but I am getting more comfortable with the idea as time passes.

nippyjun

Post by nippyjun » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:25 pm

A 3 year square trade warranty cost me $28. Can't beat that. I actually used a coupon I had to get it for half price $14. They often have coupons for 20-35%.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:09 am

nippyjun wrote:A 3 year square trade warranty cost me $28. Can't beat that. I actually used a coupon I had to get it for half price $14. They often have coupons for 20-35%.
There are a number of complaints online about square trade not honoring the warranty they sell.

nippyjun

Post by nippyjun » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:40 am

MsCoulter wrote:
nippyjun wrote:A 3 year square trade warranty cost me $28. Can't beat that. I actually used a coupon I had to get it for half price $14. They often have coupons for 20-35%.
There are a number of complaints online about square trade not honoring the warranty they sell.

You will find complaints about any company but if you check resellerratings.com.
You will see that squaretrade has a 9.7 out of 10 rating lifetime rating.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:26 pm

I considered the good ratings and even tried to buy it, but they won't sell it after 3 months even though the original warranty is still in force. Anyway, once mine goes down I will have to take immediate action. Trying to get a warranty enforced will probably take too long.