Basic Questions - Call Waiting and Second Line

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Gearscout
Basic Questions - Call Waiting and Second Line

Post by Gearscout » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:11 am

I have a couple of nagging questions.

System:
Ooma Telo
Premier Trial
1 Telo handset
multiple wireless phones that are not Ooma products

Call Waiting - Do I have to have Premier and a Telo handset to make this work?

Instant Second Line - Will this NOT work when a normal handset is on a call and another normal handset picks up?

I notice that when the Telo handset is on a call, picking up a regular (Uniden cordless) handset will get an open dialtone. But when it's a regular phone on the call, only the Telo handset gets the fresh dial tone.

If I don't have a "Flash" button on my regular handset, can I move between calls waiting by pressing the "Connect" button?

Thanks!
Gearscout
------------
Ooma Telo
Atlanta, GA

bw1

Re: Basic Questions - Call Waiting and Second Line

Post by bw1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Gearscout wrote:I have a couple of nagging questions.

System:
Ooma Telo
Premier Trial
1 Telo handset
multiple wireless phones that are not Ooma products

Call Waiting - Do I have to have Premier and a Telo handset to make this work?
No, call waiting is included with the Basic or Core service.
Gearscout wrote: Instant Second Line - Will this NOT work when a normal handset is on a call and another normal handset picks up?

I notice that when the Telo handset is on a call, picking up a regular (Uniden cordless) handset will get an open dialtone. But when it's a regular phone on the call, only the Telo handset gets the fresh dial tone.

If I don't have a "Flash" button on my regular handset, can I move between calls waiting by pressing the "Connect" button?

Thanks!
ISL will only work with the Telo handset and a regular handset. It won't work with two phones connected to the phone port on the Telo (through a splitter for instance or 2 cordless handsets connected to a base connected to the phone port).

I don't know about your regular handset, you would have to try it. On my Panasonic handsets, I can flash over to the other line and on the Telo handset there is an option to switch to the other line with an active call rather than placing a new call.

mpatrick14

Post by mpatrick14 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:34 pm

So on this same topic - I know how people hate when you duplicate topics - I just want to get a little clarity:

I currently have the Telo and a non-telo multi handset unit plugged into it. I am paying for Premier

IF I buy one Telo handset, does that mean that Instant Second Line works for both phones?

By works I mean:

If i am on the Telo Handset, and someone calls, does the instant second line ring on the non-Telo multi line? And if someone picks up one of the non-Telo multi handset phones they automatically get the ISL?

And the flip - If i am on the multi-handset system and someone calls, does the Telo ring, and if the Telo is picked up do they automatically get the ISL?

This is the final question I need answered to be able to officially port my cable VOIP and move over to Ooma completely. I work from home, and need to make sure if I just had the one number that I could be on conference calls without someone else in the house picking up, and without all the calls to the house having to be ignored.

And to be clear, I am not asking if ISL works on multiple handsets from the same non-Telo phone system - I know the answer to that is no.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 pm

mpatrick14 wrote: If i am on the Telo Handset, and someone calls, does the instant second line ring on the non-Telo multi line? And if someone picks up one of the non-Telo multi handset phones they automatically get the ISL?
Yes, when you're on a call on the Telo handset, and a 2nd incoming call comes in, you'll see the phone(s) connected to the PHONE port ring. A 2nd person can pick up the call so you'll have two simultaneous calls.
mpatrick14 wrote: And the flip - If i am on the multi-handset system and someone calls, does the Telo ring, and if the Telo is picked up do they automatically get the ISL?
Yes, they'll be able to answer the 2nd call on the Telo handset.
mpatrick14 wrote: This is the final question I need answered to be able to officially port my cable VOIP and move over to Ooma completely. I work from home, and need to make sure if I just had the one number that I could be on conference calls without someone else in the house picking up, and without all the calls to the house having to be ignored.
I think the incoming call question is answered by your two questions above. When someone picks up the phone to place a 2nd outgoing call, they'll hear a fresh dialtone (either on the Telo handset or multi-handset system).
Bobby B