Really bad ping times

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dullgeek
Really bad ping times

Post by dullgeek » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 am

I have my ooma HUB set up like this:

Internet <-> HUB <-> WIFIRouter <-> rest of house

I've been running into situations where the internet slows down *DRAMATICALLY*. And I can see this when I ping different devices:
  • Ping to WIFIRouter internal interface = <1ms average ping time
  • Ping to WIFIRouter external interface = <1ms average ping time
  • Ping to HUB internal interface = 3000ms average ping times
  • Ping to HUB internal interface = 3000ms average ping times
  • Ping to http://www.google.com = 3000ms average ping time
If I reboot the HUB , then my ping times become:
  • Ping to HUB internal interface = <1ms average ping times
  • Ping to HUB internal interface = <1ms average ping times
  • Ping to http://www.google.com = 30ms average ping time
This problem is happening daily. And I'm rebooting my hub daily. Any suggestions?

WayneDsr

Re: Really bad ping times

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:35 am

I'm sure there are some users that can help you through your issue, but for me, installing the ooma device before the router (as you would a any pc) lets you use your own router and ooma for phone only.

Any QOS control (if needed) would then be controlled by your router.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:57 pm

When you experience slowness, try plugging your PC directly into the HOME port. After it gets it's IP address, try pinging the internal IP address of the Hub. Are you seeing long ping times still?
Bobby B

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 pm

I infer from your mention of wifi that there is a wireless link somewhere in the path between your Ooma and your Internet modem. Long ping times in that path -- yours are fantastically long -- usually are a result of poor wifi performance caused by interfering signals from other people's wifi systems, from cordless telephones, from any number of things that all operate in the same 2.4GHz spectrum.

The solutio may be as simple as changing channels on your wifi equipment, or as complicated as a complete redesign of your wifi system.

If I infer wrong, and there is no wireless link in your modem-to-Ooma path, then none of the above will make any sense. Just my lot, that.

dullgeek

Post by dullgeek » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:40 am

nn5i wrote:I infer from your mention of wifi that there is a wireless link somewhere in the path between your Ooma and your Internet modem.
No that's incorrect. My router is a wireless router. And that provides access to my laptop and my cell phone, etc. There are some wired connections to the router, too e.g. the family PC, the server, the TiVo, and (importantly) the ooma hub.

The link between the ooma and the modem is a 3ft cat5e cable. The ping times are being measured from the server which is wired all the way to the internet.
If I infer wrong, and there is no wireless link in your modem-to-Ooma path, then none of the above will make any sense. Just my lot, that.
It was a good thought. Thanks.