Sonos internet radio and Ooma set-up

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Lee
Sonos internet radio and Ooma set-up

Post by Lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 am

A few months ago I asked a question about how to add a Sonos wireless music system and router to my Ooma. I was told the Ooma was a router and I didn't need to buy one. The directions I was given to hook everything works like a champ including the Ooma phone. I just set it up this morning. Only one small problem - I got an iPod Touch and free Sonos control app to use as the controller as it was $175 and the Sonos controller was $350. I installed the Sonos app onto the iPod and was prompted that it needed to connect to the in-house WiFi network so the iPod could interact with the Sonos system.

How do I do that? Will the iPod detect an Ooma WiFi signal (if there is one)? I ask as I tried to connect the iPod and in the WiFi instructions (on the iPod) it asked me to "choose a network." I entered the word Ooma as it was my "router" (and I didn't know what else to enter) but nothing happened. Any advise on how to get the controller WiFi to work with the Sonos?

Thanks

Lee

southsound

Re: Sonos internet radio and Ooma set-up

Post by southsound » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:07 am

The ooma does not have a wireless access point. You could either add one, or my suggestion would be to add a wireless capable router that would give you even more control. We have some great networking folks here on the forum an maybe one of them can suggest some good choices. If you do go with a separate access point, they can be pretty reasonable. Our church added a Trednet access point for my iPod Touch and cost was about $20. Our network guy forgot to secure it and a neighbor across the street discovered it and used it for bit torrent downloads. Our ISP sent us a warning notice regarding movie downloads - so I can testify to it having great range. That neighbor is at least 300' away!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

What is an access point southsound? I Googled Trednet and got routers starting at around $65. I then Googled Tredent access point and got devices starting at around $41. Twenty sounds better than forty or sixty considering all I have spent so far. Was not expecting to have to buy a router just to use the controller when I totaled all this stuff before buying.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:09 pm

An access point is a networking device that allows wireless (WiFi) connectivity to a wired network. I couldn't find the one our church bought but I did find a great deal on a Linksys WRT54G2 router with built-in WiFi. It can also be used as just an access point but I believe it is actually a better router than the one inside the ooma box (experts feel free to comment). The best price I found from a resellser I trust (Newegg) was $37.71 (free shipping) for a new one or you can get a recertified one from them for $20.00 plus shipping.

Remember that having WiFi in your home will mean a lot more than just being able to use you Touch as a remote control. You will be able to use free apps like Pandora for music and can do app updates right in your living room. I don't use wireless access for my computers while home - but it gets a workout with my Touch.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I'll look into that. Thanks for the help.

Lee

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:27 am

UPDATE:

I decided to get the router rather than an access point. Now the big question, where do I put it so I retain my Ooma phone system. Configuration right now with the SONOS is that I unplugged the Home Network ethernet cable from Ooma and ran it into the SONOS. Then out of the SONOS and back to the Ooma Home Network port. Both systems are working great.

Can anyone help me put the router into this so that everything still works?

Thanks

Lee

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm

You got me a little worried here. Surly some of you Ooma guys know how to set this up.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Lee wrote:You got me a little worried here. Surly some of you Ooma guys know how to set this up.
modem ---- router ---- ooma
...................... ---- sonos
...................... ---- computer 1
...................... ---- computer 2
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 pm

I have no experience with SONOS, but Murphy's response makes the most sense to me. Why would it need any more than a simple internet connection?

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Nat Ray

Post by Nat Ray » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Lee wrote:You got me a little worried here. Surly some of you Ooma guys know how to set this up.
FYI . . . viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9441

Best regards,
Nat Ray :cool:
Cox Communications > Motorola SB5120 > Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700 > Telo / Cisco Catalyst 2924 XL
Telo Handset / Panasonic KX-TG6445 + 7 other handsets = 12
3 Desktops / 4 Laptops / XBOX360 / Wii

QoS managed by router via Ethernet port . . .