Does each Ooma Telo need to be on a different subnet?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
bilbro
Does each Ooma Telo need to be on a different subnet?

Post by bilbro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm planning on getting one business-grade DSL and sharing it with multiple Ooma Telos. Does each Telo need to be on its own subnet or can they share the same one? If they each need to be on their own, does anyone have any recommendations for a hub/router control more than one subnet?

highq

Re: Does each Ooma Telo need to be on a different subnet?

Post by highq » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:59 pm

They can all be on the same subnet, no problem. Each Telo on that subnet will get its own IP, just as each computer or printserver on that subnet would have its own IP.

tommies

Re: Does each Ooma Telo need to be on a different subnet?

Post by tommies » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:02 pm

bilbro wrote:I'm planning on getting one business-grade DSL and sharing it with multiple Ooma Telos. Does each Telo need to be on its own subnet or can they share the same one? If they each need to be on their own, does anyone have any recommendations for a hub/router control more than one subnet?
It depends on your setup.

If you place all the Telos/Hubs after the router, and leave its HOME port empty you don't have to worry about putting each on different subnet.

If you chaining them-- i.e. connect the 1st Telo's 'To Internet' port to the modem, and then 2nd Telo's 'To Internet' port to the 1st Telo's HOME. After that the router WAN to the 2nd Telo's HOME port--you need to put each Telo on its own subnet, i.e. changing the value in the 3rd box (default to 35) in ooma Setup Advanced Setting page.

If you put the 1st Telo in front of the router and the 2nd after the router, you do not need to worry about the subnet either if the 2nd Telo HOME port is empty.

The chaining option is not recommended by ooma. If there are two or more Telo and/or Hub, I recommend placing them all after the router.
tommies