Scout static any fix?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
oab2
Scout static any fix?

Post by oab2 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I have had the Ooma core (hub/core) system for about 2 weeks now and have one concern. I seem to have the same static problem associated with using my scout that others on this board have raised. When making a call on a phone connected to the scout the other party hears static and poor quality on the call but it all sounds good to me. I have tried connecting different phones to the scout and it makes no difference. If I change to the phone connected to the hub the call quality greatly improves. I am using a straight phone cord from the hub to the scout so the houses wiring is not even in the picture.

Here is my question. Has there been a fix to this problem? I have read of many others having this problem and just giving up and hooking all the phones to the hub but I don't really want to do that (http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9366). This definitely seams to be a scout/hub issue not an internet issue. I would call Ooma support but have not been thrilled with their lack of caring for my prior simple caller ID issue that I had at the beginning.

Thanks.

roadshow

Re: Scout static any fix?

Post by roadshow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 pm

I also experienced the lousy sounding Scout and thought it was defective. I set up an RMA and had it replaced. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I read all of the other users who have the same issue. When the replacement arrived, I didn't even bother testing it's sound quality. I use it for remote answering only.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 pm

The farther from the hub, the worse the scout's voice quality will be. The distance is the length of the wire from the WALL port on the hub to the WALL port on the scout. If you really want to use the second line feature with the scout, I recommend to place it next to the hub and connect the two WALL port with the shortest phone cord you can find. Then you can use two set of cordless phones or a two-line phone. If you want to feed both dial tones to the house wiring, line 1 for the hub dial tone, line 2 for the scout dial tone.

However, if you also have DSL, it will complicate the matter, since the DSL signal requires a third line, actually, the DSL take the first line. If your house wiring is relatively new, eg, using CAT3(bundle of 3twisted pairs) or CAT5 cable(bundle of 4 twisted pairs), it's doable.
tommies

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:14 am

I got the crackly sound with the SCOUT sitting next to the hub using a short phone cable. The only way to hear the crackly sound is to hear it from the other end. The other party may sound fine to you but not you to them.

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:01 am

I tried a one foot phone cord, and it still sounded awful.

oab2

Post by oab2 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 pm

This is a real disappointment to me. Why would I buy the Premier subscription if it is useless to my setup? It is just a shame that they did not fix this issue before giving the Ooma Cora an end of life status.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:51 pm

oab2 wrote:This is a real disappointment to me. Why would I buy the Premier subscription if it is useless to my setup? It is just a shame that they did not fix this issue before giving the Ooma Cora an end of life status.
I've had 3 hubs (two houses) for about a year without Premier and I only use the Scouts for VM. I initially also felt disappointed with Scout voice quality, but overall I'm a happy Ooma fan, so hang in there.

The other bug in the Scout is that the VMI signal is unreliable and sometimes fails to turn off the indicator lights. I looked at it with a scope and the signal is short. Nobody is perfect, but Ooma came close enough for me. Other than the Scout, I've not had any real problems.

Bill

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:19 am

oab2 wrote:This is a real disappointment to me. Why would I buy the Premier subscription if it is useless to my setup? It is just a shame that they did not fix this issue before giving the Ooma Cora an end of life status.
totally agreed. Had the voice quality of the scout even been passable or useable-- I more than likely would have become a premiere customer to pay for the instant second line feature.

I too, logged a support call, ending up in an RMA that made no difference. The ooma techncial people I talked to acted like they had never heard of this issue before. clueless. typical.

Ooma lost a big paying customer base by not fixing this. I, like many others, use mt acout only for VM access as a sort of matter of convenience.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am

caseybea wrote:Ooma lost a big paying customer base by not fixing this
I'm not sure this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but if it can, Ooma may think it's not worth fixing because this product is end-of-life.

However, many folks like us with Scouts just sitting there for VM, may sign up for Premier if Ooma fixes these bugs, so It may be worth fixing.

Get on it Ooma!

Bill

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:57 am

Bill D wrote:
caseybea wrote:Ooma lost a big paying customer base by not fixing this
I'm not sure this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade, but if it can, Ooma may think it's not worth fixing because this product is end-of-life.

However, many folks like us with Scouts just sitting there for VM, may sign up for Premier if Ooma fixes these bugs, so It may be worth fixing.

Get on it Ooma!

Bill
I totally agree.