Internet connection not working

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
chambrick
Internet connection not working

Post by chambrick » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:34 am

I connected my Ooma Telo device about 2 weeks ago and have had no problem getting to the internet. I have my cable modem connected to my Ooma and then my Home Network is connected to my Ooma via router. My Ooma device is functioning correctly without any problems but I have no internet connection. I have tried to reset my router but still no internet access. I am at a loss what to check. Is there a way to check my IP settings for the Ooma device? Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?

teksmith63

Re: Internet connection not working

Post by teksmith63 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:01 am

The same thing just started happening to me. I have been up and working for about a month and then all of a sudden my internet quit working. Ooma phone still works, but not the internet. If I take Ooma out of the loop and connect my router directly to my cable modem, the internet works again. Put Ooma back in, no internet. I am getting ready to return my Ooma. Please advise. Thanks.

lomag

Post by lomag » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Same thing here......yesterday around 1:00 PM EST, my internet went down but ooma still worked. Rebooted the router, and modem multiple times with no luck. Took Ooma out of the equation and internet was back up. Hooked Ooma back up, and internet went down.

I now have the choice of having phone capabilities only, or internet only.

riotriotupstart

Post by riotriotupstart » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm

I am having the same exact problem. Worked great for a couple weeks then last night at 11, bam..no internet. I cant ping out or anything. The home network port will give out an IP address but for some reason it is not allowing my computer or router to communicate to the web.

wazoo

Post by wazoo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Same. Exact same. Also happening to my mom.

They have obviously broken something.

Ooma??

chambrick

Post by chambrick » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:17 am

I spent about 1 hour with them on the phone late yesterday. Let me just say that the phone support seems pretty worthless. Anyway, the one suggestion they had was to change my configuration of Cable Modem > Ooma > Router to Cable Modem > Router > Ooma and Computer behind router. So I disconnected my ooma device, made sure my cable modem was setup with my router for my home network. This was the way I have always had my device setup before I got the ooma device. Once I was on the internet and everything was working, then I connected my Ooma device to my router. Then Ooma came up. Know it has the same IP range from DHCP that my computer has since they are both behind my router. Ooma is working fine. SO I have internet and phone again.

Give it a try. Maybe there is something wrong in some firmware upgrade that ooma has released that causes an issue.

chambrick

Post by chambrick » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:24 am

Only thing I will say about this configuration is that I have seemed to lose the ability to go to setup.ooma.com and have it resolve correctly. So I have had to actually get into my router configuration and look at my dhcp assignment table to see what my ip address assignments are. Once I have found the ip address for the device I could then get to the ooma setup by using the ip address directly. I am okay doing that in order to not pay a home phone bill.

riotriotupstart

Post by riotriotupstart » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:17 pm

From the sounds of their solution of fixing the issue (putting ooma behind the router) there is indeed something they broke, coincidentally it happened right after a firmware update.