Activating but keeping my landline

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tommies
Re: Activating but keeping my landline

Post by tommies » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:01 am

Zindar wrote:
Quicksprj wrote:I just wanted to make sure you are aware that you can have dsl without a phone line. That's what I have. It's called a dry loop or stand alone dsl. Unless you want landline back up then I think it's the way to go to save the most money especially if you want features like caller id. I subscribe to premier with dry loop dsl with qwest and everything works great. Not one outage since July when o purchased ooma. I also worked out a deal with qwest to only charge $30 a month for dsl to keep me as a customer. Just food for thought.
I checked my DSL provider, and they offer dry loop, but only if you live in a Verizon area. I live in an AT&T area, so they don't offer dry loop. :(

I think after I drop caller ID, and go to measured calling on my AT&T line, I'll reduce my bill from about $32.50 to roughly $18 / month. (This includes taxes and fees.) Maybe I should shop around for internet that doesn't require a landline, and doesn't cost $18 more than my current DSL does.
I have ATT(formerly Bellsouth) DSL+land line. Now I have dry loop DSL and ported the number without any problem. Which is the baby bell of your area before ATT(actually it's SBC) glopped it up?

Regardless, I believe ATT offers dry loop DSL, and it's cost extra $5 compare to DSL+land line, and it's called DSL Direct (linked)
tommies

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Yep, bummer! I guess Costco (or Ooma) should correct the bullet in the product description.

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:27 pm

tommies wrote:I have ATT(formerly Bellsouth) DSL+land line. Now I have dry loop DSL and ported the number without any problem. Which is the baby bell of your area before ATT(actually it's SBC) glopped it up?

Regardless, I believe ATT offers dry loop DSL, and it's cost extra $5 compare to DSL+land line, and it's called DSL Direct (linked)
I called AT&T (whom I'm not currently using for DSL), and they do offer dry loop like you say. But it's $10 more than if you have their landline, plus their normal DSL rates are more expensive than the DSL I have (DSLextreme.com) for the same speed DSL (apples-to-apples comparison). So altogether, I'm not sure I'd save money by dropping DSLextreme and switching to dry-loop AT&T. (DSLextreme doesn't have a dry loop option for my address.)

Plus, I just started a one-year contract with DSLextreme, so it'll be next year before I can really shop around again. I guess I can possibly look into cable-based internet next year, but I don't know much that costs.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am

dtalwar wrote:Yep, bummer! I guess Costco (or Ooma) should correct the bullet in the product description.
It's not just on Costco site it's on Ooma's site as well: https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo/features
Landline Backup Option

Be backed up during power outages or Internet outages to make 911 calls if you also choose to keep a landline connected to your Ooma Telo.
I'm surprised that's not available anymore! But I guess if there was not much demand then I can understand, but then why advertise the feature?

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Zindar wrote:I called AT&T (whom I'm not currently using for DSL), and they do offer dry loop like you say. But it's $10 more than if you have their landline, plus their normal DSL rates are more expensive than the DSL I have (DSLextreme.com) for the same speed DSL (apples-to-apples comparison). So altogether, I'm not sure I'd save money by dropping DSLextreme and switching to dry-loop AT&T. (DSLextreme doesn't have a dry loop option for my address.)

Plus, I just started a one-year contract with DSLextreme, so it'll be next year before I can really shop around again. I guess I can possibly look into cable-based internet next year, but I don't know much that costs.
It's a year later now, and I did shop around like I said, and I'm switching to Time Warner Roadrunner (cable-based internet) effective this Monday. It's only about $4 + taxes more than my DSL was, but I can drop my AT&T phone account now, which has been costing me about $21 / month (it inched up from the $18 it used to be).

So this is definitely going to be cheaper overall than DSL was, plus much faster than DSL (7 megabits/second).

So this Monday I'll have the pleasure of calling AT&T and telling them that I'm abolishing my relationship with them.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:46 am

I went through the same thing with AT&T a few months ago. I told them I wanted to cancel my phone and keep my internet.
The end result was keeping the fastest internet connection and the phone for $43 and change a month including the taxes, which is quite a bit less than dry loop would have been.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:12 am

WayneDsr wrote:I went through the same thing with AT&T a few months ago. I told them I wanted to cancel my phone and keep my internet.
The end result was keeping the fastest internet connection and the phone for $43 and change a month including the taxes, which is quite a bit less than dry loop would have been.

Wayne
What happens after promotion though?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:46 am

lbmofo wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I went through the same thing with AT&T a few months ago. I told them I wanted to cancel my phone and keep my internet.

Wayne
What happens after promotion though?
Cable? :)

This is actually my second promotion. This one is less than the first.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member