Unknown incoming calls and porting question

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
gk17
Unknown incoming calls and porting question

Post by gk17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:52 pm

I had a question about seeing unknown calls coming in instead of the actual numbers. Just found the post and said that this is normal on a landline or if we don't have caller ID feature.

I'm currently on Verizon and waiting for porting process to complete. During activation, I checked the box for "I would like to use the ooma system with my current landline (or my current phone provider)". Will my phone service with Verizon still be cancelled after the porting is complete? I want to use Ooma only after this. That option was confusing after I read it again and don't want it to keep my phone provider.

I contacted support and the reply I got back was a little confusing which prompted me to post this. Will I still be using the landline after the porting is complete? Right now I have the Ooma hub plugged into the phone jack and my phone plugged into the Ooma device.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Can't wait to save on my monthly bill once this goes into full effect.

Thanks.

murphy

Re: Unknown incoming calls and porting question

Post by murphy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Once the port is complete your landline will be dead.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm

And after number port is complete, you can disconnect the phone cord connecting your wall jack to Ooma's "wall" port.

gk17

Post by gk17 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the quick replies :cool: Will remove the cord from wall jack to Ooma device once that day comes.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:07 pm

If you haven't ordered the number port yet...

Order "Number Port" in my.ooma.com "Add-Ons" section

Then check your port status here: https://my.ooma.com/porting_status