Hub - no dialtone requires a reboot

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
amarryat
Hub - no dialtone requires a reboot

Post by amarryat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 am

For the 2nd day in a row, I picked up my phone and no dialtone. Had to reboot the Hub and works fine after that. This has never happened before.

Edit - the status light is solid blue like always when this happens, so I have no clue that something is wrong until I try to place a call.

Not sure where to find the firmware info, but my "Device Status" on the Status page is Rev:39884:39884.

Has there been an update to the Hub recently that would cause this?

Secondly, the Ooma Hubs admin webpage doesn't render properly at all in the latest Google Chrome 7.0.517.41, so I had to use Firefox.

Edit again - and it just happened again, not 30 minutes after I had rebooted. No dialtone, internet is fine, and I need to reboot.

bluechalk

Re: Hub - no dialtone requires a reboot

Post by bluechalk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:36 am

I had the same problem a few days ago. It would loose dialtone after a few hours. Inbound calls would go directly to voicemail without ringing. But I could retrieve messages using the buttons on the hub. I could fix it by power cycling the hub.

I called the support line. They said that the hub is defective and the I need a new one. I'm a few months past the 1 year warranty, and they offered me a new hub for $179.99.

But if this is suddenly happening to many people, perhaps it is a firmware bug.

amarryat

Post by amarryat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:59 am

bluechalk wrote: Inbound calls would go directly to voicemail without ringing. But I could retrieve messages using the buttons on the hub. I could fix it by power cycling the hub.
Exactly - I noticed that yesterday where I could play messages from the hub as well even though there was no dialtone.

I just checked - I have had mine for 53 weeks.

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:23 am

My no dial-tone problem is gone. I had several days of trouble, but now the hub is working again. Its gone over 48 hours without problems. I wish that somebody from Ooma could explain whats happening here: whether its a hub thats about to fail, or a system problem that they have taken care of.
Last edited by bluechalk on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

n8399

Post by n8399 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm

amarryat wrote: Secondly, the Ooma Hubs admin webpage doesn't render properly at all in the latest Google Chrome 7.0.517.41, so I had to use Firefox.
Select "Open in new IE tab" in right context menu to access setup.ooma.com and bypass Chrome flaw.

brotherhaslip

Post by brotherhaslip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Same Problem here, but my Ooma Hub is very new. I had this same problem when I first installed it, and then it just went away and worked fine for a long time. Now it is acting up again. No Dialtone, blue light is on, when I log into the Hub, it says that it is connected.

I also noticed that when I try to push any of the buttons on the Hub, nothing happens at all. I can't play messages or anything.

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:08 pm

How hot does it feel?

amarryat

Post by amarryat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 am

bluechalk wrote:My no dial-tone problem is gone. I had several days trouble, but now the hub is working again. Its gone over 48 hours without problems. I wish that somebody from Ooma could explain whats happening here: whether its a hub thats about to fail, or a system problem that they have taken care of.
Same here - it has been gone since last week when I decided to report it.

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Turn your hub on its side and see if things improve.
(just an experiment to see if heat is causing problems)

amarryat

Post by amarryat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 pm

dschmidt_2000 wrote:Turn your hub on its side and see if things improve.
(just an experiment to see if heat is causing problems)
Doubt it - it was much warmer in my office at the beginning of the summer (before I turned on the AC) than it is now. I didn't have any problems when it was quite warm in there. My Ooma is barely warm to the touch though.