Skylink Security System with Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
pkeegan
Re: Skylink Security System with Ooma

Post by pkeegan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:43 am

The Skylink dialers I've worked with don't call central security centers but call the preprogrammed numbers to deliver a voice message.. Since the dialer is only dialing and sending a voice message, as opposed to codes for a central security station, Ooma should have no trouble with this.

niknak

Post by niknak » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:49 am

ooma basically is supplying a dial tone. If you equipment detects a dialtone it should be able to work with it ( might need a few tweaks to dialing string)

Jaboni

Post by Jaboni » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm

I just got the Ooma hub. It works with ADT for me. Details: I have Concord Express alarm panel. I ran Ooma phone wire directly to alarm box (thru phone jack using red and green wires), and then from alarm box back to my cordless phone base station (using other two wires, yellow and black). I used a dual jack wall mount. Alarm was able to seize Ooma line and send out code. ADT people wouldn't guarantee reliability, just because they haven't tested it (for their own liability). But system works fine. ADT rep said it may just be a matter of time before they officially recognize Ooma. Next I need to get battery back-up for modem and ooma.

amoney

Post by amoney » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 pm

StigMX5 wrote:I have Vector with a GE (ITI) Concord Express panel. It works fine with Ooma as long as you rewire the RJ31 jack to route the call back to the patch panel/ooma extension. Most alarms are wired to drop the inside extensions so that it can dial out. As such, you have to rewire the alarm box back into your punchdown to get the dialtone from ooma. I would also suggest you pick up a UPS to power the ooma hub, cable/dsl modem and router so that it can dial out when you lose power.

I did not need to do the *99 or change any settings on the alarm.

That is very interesting, if I get an opportunity I will like to try that!
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

aries40161

Post by aries40161 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Jaboni wrote:I just got the Ooma hub. It works with ADT for me. Details: I have Concord Express alarm panel. I ran Ooma phone wire directly to alarm box (thru phone jack using red and green wires), and then from alarm box back to my cordless phone base station (using other two wires, yellow and black). I used a dual jack wall mount. Alarm was able to seize Ooma line and send out code. ADT people wouldn't guarantee reliability, just because they haven't tested it (for their own liability). But system works fine. ADT rep said it may just be a matter of time before they officially recognize Ooma. Next I need to get battery back-up for modem and ooma.
i have an existing landline which i want to cancel. do i need to disconnect the landline from the NIB first before i proceed with the above details?

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 am

aries40161 wrote:
Jaboni wrote:I just got the Ooma hub. It works with ADT for me. Details: I have Concord Express alarm panel. I ran Ooma phone wire directly to alarm box (thru phone jack using red and green wires), and then from alarm box back to my cordless phone base station (using other two wires, yellow and black). I used a dual jack wall mount. Alarm was able to seize Ooma line and send out code. ADT people wouldn't guarantee reliability, just because they haven't tested it (for their own liability). But system works fine. ADT rep said it may just be a matter of time before they officially recognize Ooma. Next I need to get battery back-up for modem and ooma.
i have an existing landline which i want to cancel. do i need to disconnect the landline from the NIB first before i proceed with the above details?
Yes. Just to a precheck with your wall jack wiring, everyone have differing wiring. There are even phone jack line spliters call A/B line splitters so you dont have to mess with wiring.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed May 19, 2010 3:15 pm

I had to change 3 settings in my ADT GE Concord 4 alarm to have to dial out successfully to the ADT monitoring center. All the setting are under programming and you will need to have the installer code to make the changes. In addition you have to have the alarm wired correctly to have line interrupt to work.
1. Changed setting in the alarm from (wait for dial tone) to (dial out after waiting a few seconds)
2. Changed the setting in the alarm under (disable call waiting) to use the fax prefix of *99. So basically you have to call OOMA to have them disable call waiting, you can’t just enter a disable code like Ma Bell. So this setting is useless to me except that it allows me to enter the *99. Originally added a pause and *99 at the beginning of the caller center number but that only worked 50 % of the time.
3. Changed the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA- I think that this is was really the fixed it but I haven’t tried it with only this setting.
Of Note: Most alarm systems have a built-in line voltage meter on the phone line. This is why you will receive a message on the alarm when you alarm is disconnected from a phone line. However, the absence of this message DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ALARM CAN CALL HOME, only that the alarm is detecting voltage on the phone line.

To truly test that you alarm can call home you either need to do a phone test from the console or call the alarm company and have them put your alarm in test mode and then set off the alarm. Also you need to do a line interrupt test to make sure it can still dial out after the burglar takes the phone off the hook. Easy enough call the alarm company from your ooma phone and then when the alarm dials out it will have to disconnect you first. Many of the people I have spoken to on this forum who claim to have ADT working were sadly disappointed when then did a phone home test to the central monitoring office. They incorrectly thought that if the alarm is not complaining about not having a phone line then the alarm is working. Good luck and I hope that this helps. It certainly took me long enough to figure it out.

mochashome

Post by mochashome » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 pm

I have an Ademco 20P (safewatch Pro 3000) alarm with Next alarm monitoring and have been UN-successful getting it to work with Ooma. My alarm works fine with Time Warner VOIP service, so thought, 'what's the difference'? After days of troubleshooting and changing just about every code (*99, *70, fax enable etc) on ooma and/or my alarm, I still cannot get it to work. Ooma will dial the call center, but codes are not transmitted and received, and therefore the alarm does not release my phone line. Unfortunately, I have canceled my port and am returning ooma. I am not happy about that, but cannot get the two systems to work together. Hopefully, this will help others who are having difficulties, or someone could provide a suggestion to make this work correctly.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 am

I have a budget Verizon phone line for my alarm system. It has no long distance or regional service. Only local calls and toll free calls are possible. I have never given the phone number to anyone. The alarm company number is an 800 number. Calls to that line do not ring any phones in my house. There is an answering machine on the line that basically says no one will ever answer that line. It took a while but I no longer get any messages on the answering machine. All of the people that were calling it finally realized that they were wasting their time. The cost of the phone line is about $16.50 per month. The taxes and fees are actually higher than the phone service. It's just part of the cost of having a monitored alarm system.

Ooma is used for my normal phone service. Ooma is not connected to the alarm system phone line, i.e. it is not integrated with Ooma.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:04 am

mochashome wrote:I have an Ademco 20P (safewatch Pro 3000) alarm with Next alarm monitoring and have been UN-successful getting it to work with Ooma. My alarm works fine with Time Warner VOIP service, so thought, 'what's the difference'? After days of troubleshooting and changing just about every code (*99, *70, fax enable etc) on ooma and/or my alarm, I still cannot get it to work. Ooma will dial the call center, but codes are not transmitted and received, and therefore the alarm does not release my phone line. Unfortunately, I have canceled my port and am returning ooma. I am not happy about that, but cannot get the two systems to work together. Hopefully, this will help others who are having difficulties, or someone could provide a suggestion to make this work correctly.
I am sorry to hear that. Did you try changing the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA, that combined with *99 seems to work for most of the systems I have helped people with. The major problem is that the system needs to be able to switch to SIA and in most cases you will also need the installer code to make the change. It took 34 days of testing retesting, configuring reconfiguring, and a little wiring and a few drops of holly water but its been up and running on the alarm for about 6 months now.