Can't Call home from Work

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bbgarnett
Can't Call home from Work

Post by bbgarnett » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Hello,

My brother said his work told him that when they try and call our home phone it says we don't accept calls from like private or unidentified callers or whatever. But the thing is there number is not private or anything according to them. Also anyone else can call just fine. My brother works at a Grocery Store called Family Fresh It's in Wi and we live in MN about 5- 10 mins away. Also I can call the store just fine. I got the number from Google and called it and the service desk picked up right away, yet when they call from that same phone no go and say we don't accept calls etc etc. So was wondering what could be the problem. I mean they can call his cell phone and get a hold of him or leave him messages but still am wondering why this is happening. We don't have ooma Premier or anything and I mean in my ooma thing I have call screening enabled but I don't think that has anything to do with this. So yeah any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

lbmofo

Re: Can't Call home from Work

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Goto my.ooma.com and see if Preferences - Privacy has "enable anonymous call block" checkbox checked. If so, uncheck that, save setting, give a few minutes and try to see if problem fixed.

https://my.ooma.com/privacy

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:54 pm

lbmofo wrote:Goto my.ooma.com and see if Preferences - Privacy has "enable anonymous call block" checkbox checked. If so, uncheck that, save setting, give a few minutes and try to see if problem fixed.

https://my.ooma.com/privacy
I don't have Ooma Premier so I don't even have that option. It just says

Anonymous Call Blocking

Block unidentified callers

With Ooma Premier you can stop anonymous callers from bothering you. Tell them you don't accept anonymous calls, or just divert the call directly to voicemail.

Check out the full list of Ooma Premier features, or click here to sign up!

So I have to sign up for Ooma Premier to even do anonymous call block so that isn't the problem.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Call customer service to see if that box is checked from the backend. They can change that for you if you checked it during Premier trial days and now can't get to the setting online.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:10 pm

lbmofo wrote:Call customer service to see if that box is checked from the backend. They can change that for you if you checked it during Premier trial days and now can't get to the setting online.
Would it have been checked by default. I mean I never touched anything with ooma premier and I never even used it one of the first things I did and I did it almost immediately was cancel my premier trial and never touched any settings. I wanted to cancel it so that I didn't forget about it and then get charged after the trial was over. Since it said it would automatically charge me for the Premier service after the trial period was over unless I went in before it ended and hit cancel trial or don't sign up or whatever it was. So I don't think it's checked from back end since I never touched any settings but I will give them a call anyways to check.

Thanks,

EDIT: Well I called Ooma and the lady said that anonymous call reject was enabled (Don't know how or why) and so she disabled it for me so I hope that's all the problem was. I guess I could have accidentally checked it or maybe it was enabled by default, but whatever she said it's disabled now. So I will have to wait and see if my brothers work can get through now.

Thanks again for all your help.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Good idea to call anyway in case of a bug.