ReplayTV and Ooma - Can't Dial In

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dtkeyes
ReplayTV and Ooma - Can't Dial In

Post by dtkeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 am

Does anyone have a definitive answer about whether a ReplayTV can make its nightly dial in to download program information over Ooma?

Just got my Ooma Telo and thought I'd finally said goodbye to the phone company. Maybe too soon. I have a (now ancient) Panasonic Showstopper ReplayTV 2000. I've tried the various suggestions in the Forums here repeatedly: added pauses and *99 prefixes, lowered my modem's baud rate to 9,600... but no luck.

If I can't get my Replay to download over Ooma, does anyone know if there's an alternative way of retrieving program information over the internet? I'd hate to get a Land Line just for the Replay, but might have to.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

murphy

Re: ReplayTV and Ooma - Can't Dial In

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:55 am

I retired mine several years ago. Try picking a phone number in Palo Alto, CA 94303 where Ooma is located. You have free long distance so you can use any ReplayTV number in the country. Some work better than others. There is no relation between the area code and the zip code as far as ReplayTV is concerned.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dtkeyes

Post by dtkeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Murphy. I tried the Palo Alto area code, but I'm still getting "No response from modem," so apparently the Replay isn't even getting a dial tone it can use, just keeps trying to dial out.

Here's a stupid question. Could the Ooma chime/dial tone be interfering? I've been looking for the page to turn it off under Preferences, but can't find it. Could've sworn I came across it as an option when I was registering.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:39 am

Hello,

Was this working before?

We are still working on a faxing issue & this could be impacting your ReplayTV device.

dtkeyes

Post by dtkeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 am

The Replay worked fine with my old landline telephone. I just moved and made the switch to Ooma.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 am

dtkeyes wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Murphy. I tried the Palo Alto area code, but I'm still getting "No response from modem," so apparently the Replay isn't even getting a dial tone it can use, just keeps trying to dial out.

Here's a stupid question. Could the Ooma chime/dial tone be interfering? I've been looking for the page to turn it off under Preferences, but can't find it. Could've sworn I came across it as an option when I was registering.
You can't turn off the Ooma dial tone.
You can however set the Replay to not decode a dial tone

dtkeyes

Post by dtkeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 am

Murphy, I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm more than willing to try it. Can you advise how? Is it thru one of the hidden menus? E.g., 'Wait for dial tone: Yes/No. Dial using: Tone/Pulse.'

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:22 pm

dtkeyes wrote:does anyone know if there's an alternative way of retrieving program information over the internet?
Upgrade to a 5000 series model and transfer your subscription, if it's not lifetime. The 5000 series downloads its guide info via Ethernet. I have 3 of them. :cool:
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

dtkeyes

Post by dtkeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm

I guess that's an alternative. I'll have to do the math. My Replay came with the lifetime subscription, so hasn't cost me a dime in monthly fees, etc., over all these years. I'm just frustrated trying to figure out why apparently SOME people have had luck calling in via Ooma. Keep thinking I might get lucky.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm

dtkeyes wrote:Murphy, I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm more than willing to try it. Can you advise how? Is it thru one of the hidden menus? E.g., 'Wait for dial tone: Yes/No. Dial using: Tone/Pulse.'
Yes, turn off wait for dial tone.