Ooma Light is Blue, but No Dial Tone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
brotherhaslip
Ooma Light is Blue, but No Dial Tone

Post by brotherhaslip » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I've seen this post on these forums before, but I haven't seen a real solution to this problem.

When I first installed my Ooma Hub, I had this problem where my phones had no dial tone. I could not make any calls. The Ooma had its blue light glowing like everything was fine. Well, that was back in July, and on its own, the problem just went away. Now it has started again.

This time around I am noticing more details about this problem. When it goes into this "No Dial Tone" state, all the buttons on the Ooma Hub do nothing. It is like the unit is completely frozen. I can get it to work again by pulling the power cord out and restarting it, but after 5-10 minutes I would hear some clicking noises coming from the Hub and once again I would have no dial tone. When I us the Ooma's IP address, it says everything is just fine (connected).

I have cable internet through Time Warner, and during each of these episodes, my internet has been functioning flawlessly. I have my Ooma setup like so Cable Modem --> Ooma Hub --> Wireless Router --> Computer

So I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem. This morning, it had happened again, but while I was on the phone with Ooma Tech Support, the Hub went through some sort of reset all own its own (light went from blue to red, and then back to blue), and the problem went away. When I came home from work, I had no dial tone again, but later this evening the Ooma started working again without me doing any unplugging of the device.

I have my cordless phone system plugged directly into the Ooma Hub.

ntoy

Re: Ooma Light is Blue, but No Dial Tone

Post by ntoy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm

Hello,

I assume you are good now...

brotherhaslip

Re: Ooma Light is Blue, but No Dial Tone

Post by brotherhaslip » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:14 am

Well, I haven't found the answer yet. The Hub was acting up as I described over the course of 3-4 days or so. I talked to Tech Support twice, and both times, while I was on hold, the Hub light went from blue to red, and then back to blue. After that I had a dial tone again. The problem still came back though, but after my second time with Tech Support, I haven't noticed the problem again.

My best guess is that the Hub is maybe doing some kind of software update. The level 2 tech guy I spoke with said that they had recently had a software update. This would go along with why I had the problem when I first setup my Ooma Hub in July. I'm sure they had come out with some new firmware by the time I plugged mine in.