Faxing -what machines work?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
in2dadark
Re: Faxing -what machines work?

Post by in2dadark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 am

I used to be able to send faxes with ooma last year. Now it'll work one day and not the next. WTF? I dial star 99 first and it's connected directly to the hub. Come on ooma..

TheDarkKnight

Post by TheDarkKnight » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:16 pm

When I bought my Ooma Telo about 1 month ago with a few setting changes it was faxing pretty well. However, since about 2-3 weeks it has not been able to fax out, all settings are good and I am using *99. I have a 100% failure now outbound. I have not changed any of the wiring, still Ooma connected to router and fax connected to Ooma directly.

Any ideas?

jfrankbell

Post by jfrankbell » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Ooma faxing stopped working for me in early October. I just found this page on their support site and followed the directions, turning off ECM and lowering the baud rate to 9600. I am using a HP Officejet 6500. Dialing *99 (pause) before my number and faxing is working again for me.

I tried several combinations (no *99, standard 14.4 baud rate, etc) and could NOT fax.

Try this.

Here is the page with the suggestions from OOMA http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... /related/1

juanita

Post by juanita » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I have a Brother MFC 8680DN. I have tried *99, hook*99 and I cannot get a fax to go thru, receiving or faxing out.

Topp1SG

Post by Topp1SG » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 pm

Also need help. I have the Epson 835 and get an error message after the dialing. I hear the dial tone, the fax sound, and then it comes back with incomplete fax. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks!!!!!

ruconscious09

Post by ruconscious09 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:03 pm

I am at the end of my patience. Between HP's shifty business practices regarding their ink replacement cartridges and Ooma's unstable fax capabilities, I am just going to return my Ooma device back to Costco where I purchased it, return to using the lowest cost land-line, and purchase a different brand printer. I have neither the time nor patience for this amount of frustration and aggravation. Ooma... I'll maybe reconsider when you can support fax capabilities which have become a standard in a lot of American homes. Adios!!!

BTW, I've been using my fax machine with Ooma service for exactly one year when as of this month it no longer works. Even went through the trouble of replacing the printer. Same issue. Finally realized that the issue is likely Ooma's technology.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:39 am

Following is a site that may help with VoIP faxing. It contains general instructions for fax setup, and setup instructions for various brand name fax machines.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissue ... evices.htm

One suggestion that sounds promising is as follows:

Try placing a DSL filter in "reverse position" between the ATA (Ooma Device) and the fax machine (to cut down on "noise").

Faxing using Ooma phone service is just hit and miss until Ooma impliments faxing modes, "Store and Forward FoIP (T.37) fax standard", or "Real Time FoIP (T.38) fax standard".

Also view topic:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11405

debugme

Post by debugme » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 am

I use an Epson workforce 635... dial *99..first.. ECM off...works 100% send and receive..

HP is the worst...could not get it to work , no matter what settings I used...I read it's because HP faxing machines will disconnect the call it there is any data ie. packet loss.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/hp-fax-s ... -for-voip/

omahasc

Post by omahasc » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I tried the Epson workforce. Adjusted the settings. No luck. Is there anyone who has been using a fax with Ooma for more than 6 months that has a machine that works? My HP LaserJet 3380 worked fine until a couple of months ago. Now nothing seems to work. I've tried the suggestions with no luck.

Ideas?

omahasc

Post by omahasc » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Ok. So get this. Before I bought Ooma (which is awesome with the exception of the fax issue) I tried Magic Jack. The MJ call quality wasn't great and the software was buggy. Also, you had to have your PC running for it to work. Anyway, we had problems with MJ so I tried Ooma and it's been great for phone calls.

I decided to see if MJ would work for my faxing and it does! So, for what it's worth, you may want to consider a MJ if you need to fax. That said I'll be keeping my Ooma for calls. If you've used Ooma for calls you will not be happy with MJ.