Telo: red light daily

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Spiky
Re: Telo: red light daily

Post by Spiky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 am

ntoy wrote:Hello Spiky,

Looks like the push updates did not complete successfully. I made a manual push & it looks like it was successful.
Perhaps you can check tonight & keep an eye on it.

Thx
Thanks, so far so good.

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

I disabled the firewall on my router.. not sure if this is a good idea or not :) But I'd like to see if it makes a difference. Would alternative approach be to set a static IP for the Telo, while still using the firewall on the router?

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 pm

This morning much to my happy surprise, the Telo was not blinking. I'm hopeful it stays happy and blue all weekend ;) Thanks for your advice. BTW, for anyone curious my router is a Linksys WRT54G..

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Takafoomi wrote:I disabled the firewall on my router.. not sure if this is a good idea or not :) But I'd like to see if it makes a difference. Would alternative approach be to set a static IP for the Telo, while still using the firewall on the router?
Yes, turn your firewall back on, set a static IP for the telo and then put that IP in DMZ. This will bypass the firewall for the Telo but nothing else in your LAN.
Go AVS!

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:04 pm

BTW, not sure I ever added the update.'. BUT I did reactivate my firewall and created a static IP for the Ooma. It's been working well ever since.. a bit of a pain to set the router up and the Ooma up, but all in all it seems to be working better and perhaps more importantly, sound quality seems better. I think a little LED screen on the next gen Ooma would do wonders for the unit - it could tell you what its thinking, errors, status, caller stats and so forth..

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:17 am

OK.. so.. the Ooma is acting funny again.. it's gone back to every other day blinking red, with the blue lights for lines 1&2, the message and trash can lit up. Additionally, sometimes I pick up the phone to use it , I get the Ooma dialtone, and dial a number but it may take up to 30 seconds or more to connect a call. Also, for the past few days (I have to look in the forums for this ) people call the house. I pick up the phone, and we get silence - I don't hear them they don't hear me. Honestly it sucks. Is it a software update that's needed? Has my little Ooma blown it's brains out? Help!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:55 am

Takafoomi:

Sounds like you’ve done everything except look at your cable modem? Maybe you’re not getting a consistent Internet signal from your cable modem or from Internet cable provider through your cable modem, especially if your connection is still modem-Ooma-router?
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 am

Takafoomi:
Sounds like you’ve done everything except look at your cable modem? Maybe you’re not getting a consistent Internet signal from your cable modem or from Internet cable provider through your cable modem, especially if your connection is still modem-Ooma-router?

Another Idea:
Some routers will smooth in-consistent Internet signnals. Maybe you should try placing your Ooma device behind (on the LAN side of) your router.

Takafoomi

Post by Takafoomi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Thunderbird,

My set-up is modem>router>ooma. Due to the layout of my home, my cable modem comes into the house in my basement, hits the router (old linksys WRT54G with current firmware) and then splits off via wired LAN to the Ooma which lives in my bedroom.

Not sure how I can check the consistency of the internet signal from my cable provider.. the cable modem I have is, I assume, a crappy free RCA modem which came with the installation of the service years ago.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Takafoomi and Thunderbird,

I have seem similar problems that are related to fluctuating power. Strange as this seems, try using a different power strip for your cable modem and Ooma.

It may also be worthwhile to invest in a UPS. $50 for a 350 VA from Amazon.com to $100 for a 1000VA from Costco. That could help smooth power problems causing the Ooma to go offline for a bit and getting a red light.

Cheers!

- Steve