2nd line using scout question

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jmoar
2nd line using scout question

Post by jmoar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:43 pm

I have the Ooma hub set up in my home and have been using it for about a year. We have had great success. I am now contemplating adding a scout to the system to upgrade to the Ooma premier and adding a second line into the scout for my business. I understand that the scout can be set to ring the second line first which would be great. This line would typically go to voice mail or be forwarded to a cell in the field. The other question is Can i tell if the incoming call on my cell phone is from this forwarded call or not? that part I don't know at all and i'm not sure if anyone knows!

Finally would there be any distinguishing reason to change to the telo and handset other than the improved voice quality? I am trying not to spend additional money on this venture if possible.

Thanks SO much. :)

lbmofo

Re: 2nd line using scout question

Post by lbmofo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm

You can assign your 2nd number to your Scout so that it will only ring the phone(s) connected to the Scout. You'll have a separate my.ooma.com login for this number once assigned to the Scout; you can configure call forwarding in there. You can also require "press 1" in answering forwarded calls so you can tell if forwarded. If you don't press 1, then callers can leave an ooma voicemail.
murphy wrote:If you select forward all or multi-ring and then Save, the option will appear.
Check the box or not and Save again.
FYI, since Scout communicates with Hub via HPNA protocol, some folks reports of degraded outgoing voice quality. Forwarded calls and voicemail left should not be impacted by this.

If you are distributing ooma dialtone throughout the house, you just need to combine the "wall" port with the "phone" port using a duplex splitter (1 comes with ooma Core) before feeding into the house wall jack.

viewtopic.php?t=6853

jmoar

Post by jmoar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info. sounds like you made it easy sounding for a dummy!

Since you mention some degraded sound, would the telo and handset make the difference and be worth the additional money? Does the download speed i have into the house matter for this? i currently have about 20+mb coming in and about 4+ upstream.

also - would the sound only be degraded if I was actually talking on both lines at the same time or would it be all the time on both units.

The scout would likely sit directly next to the main hub in my office area. The hub currently back feeds the wall jacks and we have one phone (cordless base) plugged into the kitchen. It's the only phone in use.

thanks again for the help! :)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 pm

The sometimes not so great outgoing sound with Scout's phone is due to HPNA protocol not being as robust for voice communications even if your Hub is running perfectly with nice internet connection; no other factors involved.

If voice quality is important for the 2nd line, I'd get another Hub for it. Run 1 number per Hub.

Here is how to setup 2 Ooma devices:
viewtopic.php?t=8662

jmoar

Re: 2nd line using scout or Telo and hanset

Post by jmoar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:42 pm

It sounds like the telo handset does not have this issue. Is that correct? So I either need to buy an additional hub or a new telo set up. Does either one give a better advantage? i read there is something about Gmail that only works with telo.

lbmofo

Re: 2nd line using scout or Telo and hanset

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

jmoar wrote:It sounds like the telo handset does not have this issue. Is that correct? So I either need to buy an additional hub or a new telo set up. Does either one give a better advantage? i read there is something about Gmail that only works with telo.
Telo handset doesn't have the voice quality issue that's with the Scout. But with Scout, you can run a separate hardwire in your house; not with Telo handset.

Of course, if you get another Hub or Telo, you can run a separate hardwire without any quality issues. No Premier needed either.

Unless you are talking about HD between Telo handsets, not much quality difference between Hub and Telo.

Hub vs. Telo

jmoar

Post by jmoar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm not following the "hardwire" part of your post? What exactly does that mean?

Currently I have the scout, but it is not hooked up to anything. The new telo and handset is $199.99 and I'm trying not to spend it. I cannot, however, afford poor quality. It appears I need to figure it our before I upgrade to premier or I can't get the same deal. I looked on ebay for a telo unit, but it appears there is a $79.00 connect fee from ooma after purchasing the unit from someone else. I'm kind of stuck on what to do. Darn!

I wish i could listen or hear how bad the quality is. that would really help. can anyone put it into terms that make sense? like if standard ooma is 100, is the scout 70 or 50 or what?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:38 pm

jmoar wrote:I'm not following the "hardwire" part of your post? What exactly does that mean?
Plug the "phone" port of ooma into a house wall jack to distribute dialtone throughout the house. Since most house wall jacks have 2 pairs of wires, you can have access to line 1 & 2 everywhere there is a walljack. The Scout has a "phone" port but Telo handset doesn't.
jmoar wrote:The new telo and handset is $199.99 and I'm trying not to spend it. I cannot, however, afford poor quality. It appears I need to figure it our before I upgrade to premier or I can't get the same deal. I looked on ebay for a telo unit, but it appears there is a $79.00 connect fee from ooma after purchasing the unit from someone else.
You can get a Hub refurb from http://www.tigerdirect.com/ for $159.99; no reactivation fee.
jmoar wrote:I wish i could listen or hear how bad the quality is. that would really help. can anyone put it into terms that make sense? like if standard ooma is 100, is the scout 70 or 50 or what?
Connect your Scout to your Hub ("wall" port to "wall" port), connect a phone to your Scout's "phone" port and leave yourself some messages somewhere to see what the voice quality is like.