HAVA PLAYER/SLING BOX SET UP

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
i24u
HAVA PLAYER/SLING BOX SET UP

Post by i24u » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Just a heads up for people that have a sling box or hava player like myself. I had ooma set up ahead of my router. Modem-ooma-router like ooma recommends. Well when I tried to watch my hava player from a remote location it was choppy and was getting very low speeds 150mb-300mb which anything below 300mb is unwatchable as some of you may know. I had it set up this way from the day I got ooma, two weeks ago, and was hoping it would fix itself somehow. Well today I put the ooma behind my router (d-link N router with QQS) Modem-Router-Ooma, and today everything is fine again. My hava player is watchable and my speed is back up to 750mb-900mb. 1000mb is all that it will go up to for remote viewing. Maybe someone else might have more info on how they have their sling box set up with ooma but
BOTTOM LINE- If you have a sling box or hava player put it behind your router.

Hollywood

Re: HAVA PLAYER/SLING BOX SET UP

Post by Hollywood » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm

while you are streaming video, how does your phone conversations sound?

i24u

Post by i24u » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:32 am

Haven't really tried it yet. Will later today and i'll post back. I do know it sounds the same with it behind the router.

tadpolesuv

Post by tadpolesuv » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 am

I have a Slingbox and my configuration is the way OOMA suggest. Cable modem, router, slingbox. My picture quality is ok. I mostly watch the slingbox from my phone so I don't have great picture to start with. I am having a problem though. When I am watching my slingbox via my phone my internet connection on the other computers in my house slows to a crawl. What upload bandwidth do you have? Mine is normally in the 25kbs. I think that is the right number. I am using Time Warner cable so it is there standard upload speed.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 am

Most cable companies I've seen are at 2Mbps or 2000Kbps up unless you have a "lite" package.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 am

i24u wrote:Just a heads up for people that have a sling box or hava player like myself. I had ooma set up ahead of my router. Modem-ooma-router like ooma recommends. Well when I tried to watch my hava player from a remote location it was choppy and was getting very low speeds 150mb-300mb which anything below 300mb is unwatchable as some of you may know. I had it set up this way from the day I got ooma, two weeks ago, and was hoping it would fix itself somehow. Well today I put the ooma behind my router (d-link N router with QQS) Modem-Router-Ooma, and today everything is fine again. My hava player is watchable and my speed is back up to 750mb-900mb. 1000mb is all that it will go up to for remote viewing. Maybe someone else might have more info on how they have their sling box set up with ooma but
BOTTOM LINE- If you have a sling box or hava player put it behind your router.
i24u, I recently got a Dish Sling Adapter and made it work within my Ooma ahead of the router setup.

Dish Sling Adapter.jpg
Dish Sling Adapter.jpg (19.36KiB)Viewed 8971 times
[/size]
If I didn't do anything to my Ooma's DHCP setting and port forwarding, it didn't work outside of my network. Within my network, it worked okay but found the playback jittery often plus the video and audio got significantly out of sync few minutes into the stream.

Here is what I did:
murphy wrote:Go into the setup page inside of the ooma box. http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 if you are using OpenDNS.
On the Network page set the starting and ending DHCP addresses to 172.27.35.2
On the Advanced page create a port forwarding rule for your special port to forward to 172.27.35.2.
Power cycle the router so it gets a new IP address. Log into the router and verify that it got 172.27.35.2.

You should now be able to connect to your music server from the outside world.
For my Dish Sling Adapter, the ports involved are 5101-5102 TCP & UDP.

Within my network, "Best/HD" quality works great because it isn't limited to my ISP's upload speed (mine is only less than 2 Mpbs). Outside of my network, I have to settle for "Better" quality in order to experience a smooth playback.

DISH Network recommends a 3 Mbps or higher Upstream connecton for HD Viewing, 600 Kbps for SD Viewing and for Mobile Viewing they recommend 150 Kbps or higher.