This may work for some with jitter and delay

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
pjs344
This may work for some with jitter and delay

Post by pjs344 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:39 pm

I fix my jitter and delay problem by setting the upload and download reserve settings to 150 in setup.
Ooma states the reserve default setting is 130? 130 may be what it needs for the best sound quality. A setting lower the 130 will have a drop in sound quality or if reserves not set manually. I think the ooma box tries to use max bandwith if not manually set. I have the 384/3000 seed. I have hand no problems and vary good sound quality since I changed the reserves to 150.

Aveamantium

Re: This may work for some with jitter and delay

Post by Aveamantium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Actually Ooma typically uses the iLBC codec which uses about 40kbps. As for the number that you enter into the upload/download QOS, you're actually telling the device how much bandwidth you have so it can limit the lan port (assuming that you have the Ooma device in front of your router) to the number you enter minus what the codec needes. For example you tell the Ooma that you have 150 kbps so when a call is initiated, and only during a call, the Ooma will reserve ~40kbps for the call and cap your lan to the remaining 110 kbps. This item should have no effect on jitter... However, having said all that, if it works for you then go with it! :D
Go AVS!