Callers to my Ooma don't hear a ring tone

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
GuMan
Callers to my Ooma don't hear a ring tone

Post by GuMan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:16 am

I just installed a Hub this weekend. When calls from outside come in, the phone rings fine, and calls sound fine both directions. However, the person calling my number does not hear any ring tones to let them know the phone is ringing. This is true for people calling on cellphones or Ma Bell landlines. I purposefully set the number of rings to voice mail long to check for this, and sure enough the caller just hears silence for a long time, and then it goes to voice mail if it is not picked up at that time. But, the phone plugged into the Hub is ringing.

I saw there was an issue very similar to this related to multi-ring cellphones. Is this somehow related? How can I make this go away? I haven't ported my number yet, waiting for things like this to be resolved.

GuMan

Re: Callers to my Ooma don't hear a ring tone

Post by GuMan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:26 am

Just an update: I disabled all call forwarding and other features, rebooted the hub, but the problem persists. I hope someone can help here.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Hello,

The best thing would be to send me a personal message with some sample calls. Please include the caller's phone number, date, time, and what they hear or not hear(how long silence-seconds before call connects). Possibly a carrier issue.

GuMan

Post by GuMan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Another update. I called customer service today and they had no real answers. They called my Hub from inside their system and could hear the ring tone. I had to leave the customer service agent when she left me on hold for another 5 minutes because I had to leave for work. However, since she was in my account, now when I call my Hub with my Verizon mobile phone, I hear the ring tone.

So, it went like this. I tried calling my Hub with my land line and then with my Verizon mobile. Neither gave a ring tone to the caller, but the Hub connected phone did ring. I then called customer service. What ever the customer service agent did while trying to figure this out resulted with my Verizon mobile now gets a ring tone when calling my Hub. But, the land lines I have still have this issue. The customer service agent was going to attempt to use her mobile phone to call my Hub to see if a ring tone was present on her mobile. She put me on hold for a 2nd or 3rd time for more than 5 minutes and I had to leave for work, so I had to just hang up the service call.

GuMan

Post by GuMan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Yet another update... no help from Ooma yet. Calls incoming from TW voip ring once and then go to voice mail. Local callers on AT&T (was Bellsouth) still get no indication the phone is ringing at the other end. I moved the voice mail time to 30 seconds, and at 30 seconds the silence incoming callers experience is broken with the voice mail greeting.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm

GuMan wrote:Yet another update... no help from Ooma yet.
Did you do as ntoy asked and send him the information he requested? Norm as a great resource from ooma's highest technical level. If you are still messing with phone support when the expert is trying to help, you are making a mistake.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

GuMan

Post by GuMan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:11 am

I sent Norm a response the day he requested I do so. I have not heard back from him since. Also, I have another instance of a single ring->voice mail just today.

Norm may be a great resource, but so far I have not been able to experience that. I am off to calling customer no-service here in a little while. If this is not resolved soon, I am going to have to modify my expectations and find some other route for VOIP.

GuMan

Post by GuMan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Ok, just spent 30 minutes on a customer service call. Things work fine for them when they call me. End result, they changed my phone number and I rebooted everything hoping this would go away. But it didn't. The incoming callers experience seems to be a matter of where they are calling from. I have AT&T wireless work OK, Verizon wireless work OK and not OK depending on who the caller is, one TW voip caller not work OK and multiple AT&T land line callers not work OK.

Once a call is initiated and I answer it, the quality is great and there are no issues. Jitter and speed all test out with flying colors.

GuMan

Post by GuMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:12 am

So, after some back and forth email questioning of my IP capability (which is fine, BTW) this is what I received via email a few days ago.

"I consulted our engineers.
They said that there are a few customers who are affected with this concern.
A new ticket has been created for this issue.
You will be receiving an email notification from them for an update."

So, how long should I wait? It sounds like a lot of you have never received that follow up email.

Things are still the same for me. Some callers go direct to voice mail. Some callers get the Hub attached phone to ring but don't know it. Some callers have a perfectly normal experience. It seems these callers all have the same experiences each time.

I cannot see porting my AT&T land line over until some sense of normalcy is developed.

cnc

Post by cnc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:46 pm

I have had this problem for some time now. I've narrowed it down to ATT Wireless for sure. Only some times it will ring in the morning but not later in the day. I've had other people with different carriers call and it rings for them. I travel a lot and find every now and then it will ring fine one minute and not more than 30 minutes later nothing. Yes the call does go through but I'm getting tired of people calling my cell and telling me my home phone isn't working just because they didn't wait long enough to hear something. I've had ooma over a year now and it was not always like this.PS. I forgot to add, I have a second number other than my main home number and that number rings fine for the caller, its my home number that was ported over from Verizon that callers can not hear the ring on