Problem with specific Number - I can't hear them!!

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jknuts1

Post by jknuts1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi,

My ooma works great. I get outstanding call quality to almost every person. I do have perplexing problem though. I have a specific phone number which when I call it, the person can hear me, but I can not hear them. it does not happen all the time, but it is very repeatable. I was able to repeat it three times today (back to back to back) after the 3rd try the person gave me a call and it worked with out any problems.

I know this is not a connection issue. I can call anyone else, and I do not get this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

If it matters, I am calling a 773-445-XXXX number.

Thanks in advance!
jknuts1

mxkied2

Re: Problem with specific Number - I can't hear them!!

Post by mxkied2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:05 pm

I am having the exact same problem to area code 815, I have called ooma several times and they keep having change the qos settings (which does not fix the issue) I have run so many speed and ping tests for them and still no results. . . .
speedtest.net results:
18.68 Mb/s Down
3.65 Mb/s up
ping 13 ms
packet loss: 0%
Jitter 1 ms
Line Quality: A

4 years with Vonage and no issues, getting ooma is starting to look like the worst VOIP decision I ever made. . .

xtomik

Post by xtomik » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm having a similar problem, with multiple numbers. It is always on the outgoing call. The called party can hear me, but I hear silence. If they call back, it works fine.

Post here if you figure it out. If this keeps up much longer, I'll have to give up on ooma.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:44 pm

For anyone having this problem my advice is the same: keep a log of the bad calls - date and time, incoming or outgoing, description of the problem (like call faded after 5 minutes or could not hear calling party). After you have several instances noted, give ooma support a call and tell them you have the call information. They will have to escalate the problem, but this information will allow senior support personnel to check the logs and see if it is a carrier problem.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

JakeThomas

Post by JakeThomas » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I too am having this problem, outbound only, and only with calls to specific numbers. Otherwiswe call quality is excellent. Here the phone is 360 786-XXXX

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:08 pm

southsound wrote:For anyone having this problem my advice is the same: keep a log of the bad calls - date and time, incoming or outgoing, description of the problem (like call faded after 5 minutes or could not hear calling party). After you have several instances noted, give ooma support a call and tell them you have the call information. They will have to escalate the problem, but this information will allow senior support personnel to check the logs and see if it is a carrier problem.
I guess I wasn't clear - after you gather the log information, you need to contact ooma customer support at 888 711-6662. This is most likely a routing or carrier partner issue. Posting about the numbers here will not help because this is a user forum and although frequented by several ooma moderators, for this type of problem, the best bet is to contact the folks who actually work for ooma.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:16 pm

It would be interesting to find out if the number(s) that are being called (number that you are calling) are legacy carrier number(s) (example transport mod AT&T phone line) or VOIP (transport mode Internet) number(s) that are being called. If the numbers being called are VOIP numbers, there may be Quality of Service issues on the other end.

jknuts1

Post by jknuts1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:40 pm

The number am calling is an AT&T phone line (not VoIP). If I call the GV number associated with the AT&T phone number, I don't have a problem. It is only when I call the At&T landline, that I have a problem.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:34 pm

The next time you call using Ooma and can't hear the other party, If you have a cell phone, call the same number with your cell phone and report if you can hear the other party while using your cell phone.

wristwatch

Post by wristwatch » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:08 am

I have also experienced the same repeated problems. The party I called at (773)-445-xxxx have an AT&T landline and I call from my ooma number (815)-xxx-xxxx using a Comcast Performance High Speed Line 18Mbps-20Mbps down and 3Mbps up with liberal QoS settings on my end and no other inbound or outbound Internet traffic on my end at the time. This is extremely frustrating as the person I call is one of most called numbers so I need to get this working. I'm getting ready to send ooma support the dates, times, and durations of these calls in a few minutes. I recalled the party using my Boost Mobile cell phone with no problems.