Scout: 4 Red Lights, Even When Connected Directly

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Zudnic
Scout: 4 Red Lights, Even When Connected Directly

Post by Zudnic » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have a basic Ooma system (1st generation, the white boxy one) with a Hub and a Scout. I have had it since Jan 2010 and it has worked great.

Setup:
Internet <-> Hub <-> House Phone Wiring <-> Scout <-> Handset

Problem: No dial tone on the handset connected to the Scout, and the Scout shows four solid red lights (the bottom row).

Other useful information:
  • There is a handset that connects to the Hub directly and works fine.
  • The Ooma tab on the Hub is blue.
  • Following advice from other forum posts, I carried the Scout downstairs and hooked it directly to the Hub, Wall jack to Wall jack. I then took an old school wired phone and connected it to the Scout in its Phone jack. The Scout powered up to the same four red lights and I got no dial tone.
  • I have verified the wiring is correct multiple times, even deliberately trying crossing the wires as suggested in another post.
  • This happened randomly, there was no event such as the Scout being dropped or a power surge that brought this on (that I know of). One day I noticed the red lights were on and the phone didn't work.
Question:
Are there troubleshooting steps I haven't yet found? What else can I try? Is this a warranty claim?

Thank you in advance for any help!

feartheturtle

Re: Scout: 4 Red Lights, Even When Connected Directly

Post by feartheturtle » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:24 am

We had a similar issue several months ago. Check that all the buttons on the scout are in their "normal position." We had one key that was stuck (partially depressed). Once that was reset everything came back to normal. Just something to try. Good luck.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:14 am

Another thing you might want to try is a different power supply. Hopefully you can find one around the house with the same rated output and the same polarity on the tip, or a cheapy at an electronics store.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Zudnic

Post by Zudnic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I tried a new power supply and the buttons aren't stuck.. it looks like I am going to have to submit a warranty claim.

Zudnic

Zudnic

Post by Zudnic » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Everyone, as a followup and for anyone who may find this thread by Google, I called support and resolved the problem.

First, shut down everything - scout, hub, router, cable modem.
Second, take the Scout to the Hub physically and plug them into each other, Wall plug to Wall plug.
Third, fire everything back up slowly, starting with the cable modem, then the router, then the Hub, then the Scout. If the Ooma tab is blue on the Scout and Hub,you're back in business.

The key is to just be patient with the thing.

Thanks again to those who replied trying to help me out, I appreciate your time and advice.

smaz524

Post by smaz524 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks a lot for the instructions. Bought a scout of of Ebay. Hope it would work. Got the four red lights on bottom. Thanks to the forum and great people that posts solutions. Up and running within minutes. Waited for the modem, router hub and then scout to boot slowly. Thanks again!!!

montud

Post by montud » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:59 am

Zudnic wrote:Everyone, as a followup and for anyone who may find this thread by Google, I called support and resolved the problem.

First, shut down everything - scout, hub, router, cable modem.
Second, take the Scout to the Hub physically and plug them into each other, Wall plug to Wall plug.
Third, fire everything back up slowly, starting with the cable modem, then the router, then the Hub, then the Scout. If the Ooma tab is blue on the Scout and Hub,you're back in business.

The key is to just be patient with the thing.

Thanks again to those who replied trying to help me out, I appreciate your time and advice.
Hey, I am having similar issue. My problem is that whenever the scout is plugged into the wall port of the hub it lights up blue but as soon as I move it upstairs where the phone/jack is, the scout only gets 4 red lights. I have spent over 2 hours working with tech support on this but they are not able to solve it. My house is wired correctly since I am able to use the upstairs telephone while plugged directly into the house wall jack. Here is my current setup:

Cable Modem -> Asus Router -> Hub
Hub's phone port split so that one cable goes to house wall jack which sends out the dialtone to rest of the house (which is why i am able to use the phone upstairs while plugged to a wall jack). 2nd port off the splitter has the wire going to canon MX860 fax machine.

p.s. I am also not able to send out faxes, I have tried all the settings suggested (ECM Turned off, baud rate set to 9600, sending 1 page at a time, changing downstream setting on hub to 0)

Thanks for your help!

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:50 am

You have to connect the wall port of the hub to your wall jack also.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:25 pm

On a related note... after about 4 months with great service (and the scout serving as a remote voice mail access point), my scout is now displaying 4 red lights (bottom row). When plugged into the hub directly, the scout worked (again).

I am truly at a loss as to why the setup would have worked for 4 months, but has now stopped.

As for the whole house set-up, I used splitters (L1 L2 L1+L2) when I set up in summer. The "wall" was run into L2, the "phone" to L1.

If the scout stopped working entirely, I would "get it."

I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting, given that I have had months of functional ooma.

:?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 pm

4 red lights on the bottom row means the scout can't contact the hub.
Check your wiring.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx