Ooma with wi-fi internet

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
nn5i
Re: Ooma with wi-fi internet

Post by nn5i » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 am

murphy wrote:The first item on this page is a client bridge.
Cool. A used router with aftermarket firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato would be considerably cheaper but requires technical skills to set up. Trade-offs, always trade-offs.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 am

But why would you go to all the trouble and expense when all you have to do is receive the WiFi signal using the WiFi Wireless Network Connection in the laptop computer. Than using Microsoft Windows operating system Internet Connection Sharing, the laptop computer converts the WiFi signals to wired LAN signal and is outputted through the wired LAN laptop computer adapter port, which produces one IP address only. If only the Ooma device is to be used, than the only other thing that is needed is a patch cable to be connected from the wired laptop computer wired LAN port to the Ooma device. If more than one wired device is required, like your TiVo & and the Ooma device, the patch cable from the laptop computer wired LAN port is connected to the input port of the router. Than the router supplies outputs for both the Ooma device, the TiVo, and any other device etc. Once setup, this configuration functions very well. I used to work for a very large company, and for traveling, this was the only setup that was ever used and served us well.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 am

What happens when you leave the house and need to take the laptop with you and your wife wants to make or receive a phone call? Dedicating a laptop costs a lot more than $89.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:49 am

I suspect donl1133 and his wife will determine their needs and will make that call. I also suspect that his wife already has a cell phone, so she will use her cell phone.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 am

Even though the item name says "Access Point," if you look at the description of the item I posted: http://amzn.com/B0044GK9YI it sure seems like it would work for Ooma, Dish receivers (or anything that has wired ethernet port only but you need to connect to your wifi).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 pm

You’re right ibmofo. I just looked at the specification sheet for the Trendware 11NBGE, and found that the input is for this device is a wired Internet connection. The output is a Wifi network. The manufacture calls out to use a Cable/DSL Modem, than a router than the Trendware 11NBGE. Donl133 says he will be in a trailer park with a WiFi service. So at the least he needs a WiFi to wired LAN adapter. I have never seen one of those types of adapters (other than a computer), but I’m sure someone out there probably makes one.

donl1133

Post by donl1133 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks to all who posted to my question. A lot of the information is not understandable to me, but I think the simplist way for me is the suggestion of thunderbird where I can go directly from my laptop to the telo with a patchcord, because my laptop has a wireless card and a eathernet port. Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions and I will see if I can make something work. Don

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:56 pm

donl113 one last though. If you have used your laptop's wireless WiFi connection before, skip over the rest of this message. If you haven't used your laptop's wireless connection, go to a place that has WiFi service like a neighbor's home or to a coffee shop and make sure your laptop connects to their WiFi service. Some laptops will have only a network WiFi card installed, and some will have only a wireless 3 or 4G card installed that connects only to providers like AT&T, Sprint, or T-mobile. Many have both cards installed. So to be safe, try it out before you travel. Good Luck.

donl1133

Post by donl1133 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:20 pm

thunderbird;
I have used this laptop the last 2 years in this rv park, so I know it will pick up their signal, and if it doesn't work well we do have our cell phones. Just thought maybe we could save some minutes on the cell if this would work, instead of letting the telo sit idle for the time I'm down there. Thanks again for the help, it's a great forum. Don

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:45 pm

lbmofo wrote:Even though the item name says "Access Point," if you look at the description of the item I posted: http://amzn.com/B0044GK9YI it sure seems like it would work for Ooma, Dish receivers (or anything that has wired ethernet port only but you need to connect to your wifi).
Looks like you're right. I looked at it too, just now, and it appears that it can serve either function. Many "access points" -- including all of the ones from Linksys, Netgear, and D-link -- can't do that. So this would serve him.

But if he can dedicate the laptop, which he already owns, then Internet Connection Sharing is the first thing he should try. Perhaps I ought to try it too, since there are no fewer than eleven laptops sitting idle in my house, proving that I'm the champion pack-rat.